Satellite in Orbit (Quiz#4, 26)

In summary, the period of the first satellite is 1 hour, but the period of the second satellite is 9 hours.
gcombina
Warning: Infraction points awarded to gcombina for not using the homework template.
A satellite in orbit around the Earth has a period of one hour. An identical satellite is placed in an orbit having a radius that is nine times larger than that of the first satellite. What is the period of the second satellite?

(a) 27 h (c) 4 h (e) 0.04 h

(b) 3 h (d) 9 h** I truly don't know where to start.
I have seen (online) people using equation for force of gravity, and centripetal acceleration but they don't explain why

**Please do not use Keplen laws cause I haven't studied that

My attempt:
The period is the distance of the orbit which is 2piR
The first satellite moves because it has centripetal force which is Fc= mv^2/R
The first satellite also has acceleration which is ac = v^2/R

Physics news on Phys.org
What is causing the Fc ? You need an expression for that, preferably one that also has R in it.
Use the template. Read the guidelines. Don't write "I don't know where to start".

It's Kepler's Laws, not Keplen.

the Fc is caused by gravity

And what is the expression for the force of gravity?

ehild

it is GMn/R^2

but what should I do with it if I am looking for the TIME

Last edited:
How is time related to speed and distance traveled ?

What distance travels a satellite along its whole orbit?

Ah, good to see you now have an expression for the force that functions as centripetal force. And it has an R in it too! Splendid! You can work it around to get something for v. And traveling a circular orbit of radius R brings you back to the same point in a time ...

By the way, doesn't anyone of the helpers worry about the 1 hour period of the first satellite ? I got something of an underground orbit... ? Fortunately, the exercise can be continued nevertheless: IF the R satellite circles in 1 hour, THEN the 9R satellite does so in ... hours.​

sorry i am lost

you asked what is the relation between STD? speed time and distance?

T = d/s

We're getting there! What is d for one revolution in a circular orbit of radius R?

[edit] Ah, I see you answered that already in post # 1: 'the distance of the orbit which is 2piR'

@ehild: can't we assume circular orbits? It's already difficult enough for GC I would guess...

Last edited:
yeah i read Kepler which is more simple
t^2/R^3 = T^2/(9R)^3
T = 27

BUT, they don't want me to use Kepler's law

Goodness. Post 1 said no Kepler. And it has R and 9R, so I take it they want you to derive this for circular orbits. You have ##GMm/R^2=mv^2/R## , you have ##T = d/v## and you have ##d = 2\pi R##. Play around until you have ##T=...##!

@ehild: what about this 1 hour period infeasibility ?

Read the last paragraph. It solves the problem with circular orbits.

ok sorry, i suck at physics but need to pass this only course which is a prereq for my major which has nothing to do with physics!. Please be patient

ill read that

1. What is a satellite in orbit?

A satellite in orbit is an object that is launched into space and orbits around a celestial body, such as the Earth. Satellites can be natural, like the moon, or artificial, man-made objects used for various purposes.

2. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit due to the balance between its inertia (the tendency to continue moving in a straight line) and the gravitational pull of the celestial body it is orbiting around. This creates a circular or elliptical path around the body.

3. What are the applications of satellites in orbit?

Satellites in orbit have a wide range of applications, including communication, weather forecasting, navigation, remote sensing, and scientific research. They also play a crucial role in military and defense operations.

4. How are satellites launched into orbit?

Satellites are launched into orbit using rockets, which provide the initial thrust and velocity needed to overcome the Earth's gravity. Once in space, the satellite uses its own propulsion system to maneuver itself into its final orbit.

5. What happens to satellites at the end of their lifespan?

When a satellite reaches the end of its lifespan, it can either be decommissioned and removed from orbit or left in its current orbit. If it is left in orbit, it will eventually fall back to Earth and burn up in the atmosphere. If it is decommissioned, it can either be brought back to Earth or moved to a higher orbit to prevent potential collisions with other satellites.