Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saw in the Papers: Air Conditioner Ad

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1

rollingstein

Gold Member

The ad says: "5 Years Warranty on Compressor, 1 Year Warranty on Main Unit"

Nice so far. Next the ad says:

"Not Covered in Warranty Plastic and Rubber Parts, Lamp, Interconnecting Cable, Rubber Pads for Remote Control, Interconnecting Copper Tube, Aesthetic Parts, Condenser Coil, Evaporator Coil and Stabilizer"

Ummm.......what exactly remains. Basically are they only warrantying the compressor? o_O

How can you have so many exclusions? Excluding the evaporator + condenser + copper / plastic / rubber is like excluding 90% of the AC.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's the trick. You have warranty so you can mention it in the ad (good for marketing) but the fine print renders it obsolete (good for profits).

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3
    In turn some governments have "Consumer Protection" acts.

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what could go wrong with these items other than taking a hammer to them? The compressor is the important part.

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, but copper tubing, condenser coils, and evaporator coils have all been known to fail, even on unhammered units.

The compressor is probably the most expensive part, but the unit still won't work too well with a functional compressor and a shot condenser or evaporator coil. :frown:

7. Apr 16, 2015 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any references as to the statistics? I've only experienced a few freon leaks over the years and never anything from these parts failing that required much down time.

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've been lucky then.

I'm sure the various A/C vendors have failure statistics for various parts, but I doubt they make this information available to the public. It would be instant fodder for their competitors advertisements.

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could be right. Maybe russ_watters will chime in. I'm sure he has much more experience than me.

10. Apr 16, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Logically, I would agree that the moving parts are the ones that fail, but I'm an engineer, not a technician, so I don't have a ton of hands-on experience with failures. But yeah, as long as it covers the compressor and fan, I'd probably be ok with it. Most of the other parts are things that are wear parts (lamp, plastic pads) or parts that would be difficult to make fail without abusing them (coils/tubing).

It's similar to a car, who's warranty mostly covers the drivetrain.

11. Apr 16, 2015 #10

rollingstein

Gold Member

I'm no AC-tech either but from what I've read gas leaks are common. Not sure if through the ferrules or other places. Corrosion is another common problem I've seen reported by AC techs. Which is why some AC techs recommend copper coils since those can be brazed. On other MOCs replacing the whole coil is often needed.

Another modern malady is circuit board failures.

12. Apr 16, 2015 #11
    I had a condenser problem recently, though my A.C has been 10 years old.
    The repairing guy changed the condenser for Rs 500 , around 8 $. Is it too much in U.S?

13. Apr 16, 2015 #12

Astronuc

Stuff that will wear out quickly, or be damaged, would not be warrantied.

The compressor, like a drive train in a vehicle, is expected to last a certain lifetime (service life), and the majority of failures (due to wear and tear) would be expected to occur after the warranty period. The manufacturer/seller is taking calculated risk that the estimated service life is properly determined.

14. Apr 17, 2015 #13

russ_watters

Corrosion is definitely not something that should be covered by a warranty. It falls under the category of abuse.
    True - my refrigerator's controller failed.

15. Apr 17, 2015 #14

rollingstein

Gold Member

Corrosion does not always imply abuse. I think.

It could be bad material choice. Under-design. Unreasonably low corrosion allowances. Poor machining / welding practices. Incompatible materials in contact. Surface coating inconsistencies .

16. Apr 17, 2015 #15
    That'd be a two-way street; Why not just included them in the warranty if that's the case?

17. Apr 17, 2015 #16

russ_watters

Eventually, everything will corrode, but it will corrode faster if abused or simply if used in an unusual environment.
    True, but if a unit was so crappy to begin with, you wouldn't want to buy it in the first place. Most of the time, a warranty is there to protect you from a construction defect, not a fundamentally flawed product.

18. Apr 17, 2015 #17

russ_watters

Um....no, that's not a two-way street. That's exactly why you don't include them in the warranty: Because people do abuse things, which means the company will have to pay for damage that isn't their fault if they include those things in the warranty.

19. Apr 17, 2015 #18

rollingstein

Gold Member

I'm not sure if some of these things would be easy to tell for a customer.

In my opinion, one of the reasons a warranty exists is to assuage the customer's worry that he isn't knowledgable enough to verify every functional attribute of the product.

The warranty in essence says, "Look you don't have to verify if I used a piston large enough to handle the load. If it breaks any time soon I will replace it for you"

20. Apr 17, 2015 #19

russ_watters

I prefer 3rd party reviews to trusting the company, regardless of what they say they'll do for you.

21. Apr 17, 2015 #20

rollingstein

Gold Member

Conversely, manufacturers do know that certain components are prone to failure or cash cows for their service departments & hence exclude those from warranties.

I guess I'm not objecting to the exclusions, more the deceptive advertising in it. e.g. They mention the "1 year warranty on main unit" so in this particular case I wonder what in the main unit is left to warranty?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook