Say I know the x and y components, how do i go about finding the diagonal one?

  • Thread starter Thread starter teggenspiller
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Components
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
teggenspiller
Messages
94
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


^--------------^
|..../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|/_____________> ignore the dots

If my y component is 120m/s and my X component is 50m/s, how do I go about finding initial V??


Attempt:

i know that the y component = sin(O)*V
and the x= cos (O) *V

So that must mean that
V= x/cos(O)
AND
V= y/sin(O)

so maybe just maybe: x/cos(O)=y/sin(O)

But i don't know theta. and I am not looking for it either.
^--------------^
|..../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|/_____________> ignore the dots
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A vector with perpendicular components x and y has magnitude sqrt(x2 + y2).