Scalar Equations of a plane in space

In summary, someone is trying to solve a scalar equation using the cross product of two vectors. They get a Normal vector and then try to use it to solve for the equation of the plane. However, their equation is wrong because they incorrectly use the point (2,0,-3).
thomasrules
One question is bothering me..

Find the scalar equation of the plane that contains the intersecting lines

(x-2)\1=y\2=(z+3)\3

and (x-2)/-3=y\4=(z+3)\2

What I've tried is doing the cross product of (1,2,3)and(-3,4,2)
I get a Normal and then put it into scalar form...

Substitute (2,0,-3) into it to find D and I get a wrong answer...

Can anyone help, by the way it has to be done geometricaly because that's the course,.,,,thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
thomasrules said:
One question is bothering me..

Find the scalar equation of the plane that contains the intersecting lines

(x-2)\1=y\2=(z+3)\3

and (x-2)/-3=y\4=(z+3)\2

What I've tried is doing the cross product of (1,2,3)and(-3,4,2)
I get a Normal and then put it into scalar form...

Substitute (2,0,-3) into it to find D and I get a wrong answer...

Can anyone help, by the way it has to be done geometricaly because that's the course,.,,,thanks

It's hard to help without knowing exactly what you did. Yes, taking the cross product of (1, 2, 3) and (-3, 4, 2) will give a vector perpendicular to the plane. What result did you get?
I'm guessing that you used the normal vector together with a point in the plane to find the equation of the plane. The obvious choice for that point, I would think, would be (2, 0, -3). That is, if <A, B, C> is your normal vector then A(x- 2)+ By+ C(z+ 3)= 0 is the equation of the plane.
I take it your D is -2A+ 3C. How do you know you got a wrong answer? Were you told what the answer should be?

Ok I did (1,2,3)x(-3,4,2)=(-8,-11,10)

tHEN I wrote -8x-11y+10z+D=0

Substituting the P(2,0,-3) into that -8(2)+10(-3)+D=0

D=-46

But the answer in the book is 10x+11y-10z-50=0

thomasrules said:
Ok I did (1,2,3)x(-3,4,2)=(-8,-11,10)

tHEN I wrote -8x-11y+10z+D=0

Substituting the P(2,0,-3) into that -8(2)+10(-3)+D=0

D=-46

But the answer in the book is 10x+11y-10z-50=0
Try (1, 2, 3)x(-3, 4, 2) again! It's not just your D that is wrong.

1. What is a scalar equation of a plane in space?

A scalar equation of a plane in space is a mathematical representation of a plane using scalar quantities (such as constants and variables) rather than vectors. It is written in the form ax + by + cz + d = 0, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and d is a constant.

2. How is a scalar equation of a plane different from a vector equation of a plane?

A scalar equation of a plane only uses scalar quantities, while a vector equation of a plane uses both scalar and vector quantities. In a vector equation, the coefficients of x, y, and z represent the direction of the plane, while in a scalar equation, they represent the distance of the plane from the origin in each direction.

3. How can I determine the orientation of a plane from its scalar equation?

The coefficients of x, y, and z in a scalar equation of a plane can be used to determine the normal vector of the plane. The normal vector will have components equal to the coefficients, and its direction will indicate the orientation of the plane.

4. Can a scalar equation of a plane be written in a different form?

Yes, a scalar equation of a plane can also be written in the form ax + by + cz = d, where d is a constant. This form is useful for determining the distance from a point to a plane, as d represents the distance from the origin to the plane along the normal vector.

5. How can I use a scalar equation of a plane to solve problems in real life?

A scalar equation of a plane can be used to solve problems involving planes in 3D space, such as determining the distance from a point to a plane, finding the intersection of two planes, or representing the relationship between two parallel planes. It is a useful tool in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.