Scale Invariance and dark matter/dark energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the issues surrounding dark matter and dark energy, and how the ratio of dark matter increases with the volume of space. The concept of scale invariance is brought up as a potential solution to this issue. However, there are concerns about the validity of the model presented in the conversation. The conversation also touches on the interchangeability of space, time, and energy in general relativity and quantum theory, and how adding an "odd piece" can result in unexpected patterns emerging.
aokrongly
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1710.11425.pdf

The dark matter/dark energy issues has not made any sense to me since 1996 when it was evident that the ratio of dark matter increased as the volume of space measured increased. This was an obvious affect of empty space in the dark matter question that was being ignored. I thought at the time that it might have something to do with the affect of a gravity well on the passage of time. But that was not a valid concept.

Then along comes Andre Maeder, my new superhero, to solve this 25 year old thorn in my brain. Thank you Andre Maeder! The old guard is yelling about gravitational lensing and whatnot, but Scale Invariance. Scale Invariance. Scale Invariance. I could say it 100 times. Happy, Happy Happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
I believe you are mixing dark matter and dark energy. Dark energy (very mysterious stuff) is supposed to increase as space expands. Dark matter is relatively ordinary stuff, but it doesn't interact with photons or ordinary matter.

aokrongly said:
Happy, Happy Happy.

And it all melts down... As my grandma used to say: don't get happy too soon. There's always a catch.

Try not to be so limiting and embrace the wondrous and confounding world of general relativity [or, if you prefer, quantum theory] where space, time and energy are viewed as interchangeable pieces of the same underlying puzzle. If you toss in an odd piece, close up the box and shake it vigorously, an unexpected and unique pattern will emerge

Last edited:
aokrongly said:
... the ratio of dark matter increased as the volume of space measured increased.
As mathman pointed out, you have "dark matter" where you mean (at least I hope you mean) dark energy.

1. What is scale invariance and how does it relate to dark matter and dark energy?

Scale invariance is a property in physics that states that the laws and equations governing a system are unchanged when the scale of the system is changed. In the context of dark matter and dark energy, scale invariance refers to the fact that these components of the universe behave the same way regardless of the size or scale of the system. This means that dark matter and dark energy have a constant effect on the universe, regardless of its size or scale.

2. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter and dark energy?

The existence of dark matter and dark energy is inferred from various observations and measurements of the universe. These include the rotation curves of galaxies, the gravitational lensing of light by clusters of galaxies, and the large-scale structure of the universe. These observations cannot be explained by the known forms of matter and energy, leading scientists to propose the existence of dark matter and dark energy.

3. How do scientists study dark matter and dark energy?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study dark matter and dark energy. This includes observations from telescopes and satellites, computer simulations, and experiments with particle accelerators. By analyzing the effects of dark matter and dark energy on the universe, scientists can gain a better understanding of their properties and behavior.

4. What is the difference between dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two distinct components of the universe that have different properties and effects. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and is only detected through its gravitational effects. It makes up about 85% of the matter in the universe and is responsible for holding galaxies together. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a mysterious form of energy that is thought to be causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. It makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe.

5. How does the concept of scale invariance impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of scale invariance plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It allows scientists to study and model the universe on both small and large scales, making connections between different phenomena and theories. It also helps us understand the behavior of dark matter and dark energy, which have a constant effect on the universe regardless of its scale. Overall, scale invariance is an important concept in cosmology and helps us better understand the complexities of our universe.