Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Scale Invariance and dark matter/dark energy

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1710.11425.pdf

The dark matter/dark energy issues has not made any sense to me since 1996 when it was evident that the ratio of dark matter increased as the volume of space measured increased. This was an obvious affect of empty space in the dark matter question that was being ignored. I thought at the time that it might have something to do with the affect of a gravity well on the passage of time. But that was not a valid concept.

Then along comes Andre Maeder, my new superhero, to solve this 25 year old thorn in my brain. Thank you Andre Maeder!!! The old guard is yelling about gravitational lensing and whatnot, but Scale Invariance. Scale Invariance. Scale Invariance. I could say it 100 times. Happy, Happy Happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Moderator's note: thread moved to Cosmology.

4. Dec 1, 2017 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

5. Dec 1, 2017 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe you are mixing dark matter and dark energy. Dark energy (very mysterious stuff) is supposed to increase as space expands. Dark matter is relatively ordinary stuff, but it doesn't interact with photons or ordinary matter.

6. Dec 1, 2017 #5
    And it all melts down... As my grandma used to say: don't get happy too soon. There's always a catch.

7. Dec 2, 2017 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try not to be so limiting and embrace the wondrous and confounding world of general relativity [or, if you prefer, quantum theory] where space, time and energy are viewed as interchangeable pieces of the same underlying puzzle. If you toss in an odd piece, close up the box and shake it vigorously, an unexpected and unique pattern will emerge

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  8. Dec 2, 2017 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As mathman pointed out, you have "dark matter" where you mean (at least I hope you mean) dark energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted