Scaling factor of Energy in a capacitor with change in charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mrcotton
Messages
120
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


AQA Section A Q18 Jun 11
photbucket3_zps580de911.jpg


Homework Equations



The answer should be C

E=.5QV and C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution



So the original Q has increased by 1.5 times If C is constant than the voltage must also increase by 1.5 times

Now the energy E is E=.5QV V has increase by 1.5 and and so has Q which is 2.25

Infact in typing this out I think I just solved it. Is this logic and method ok
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mrcotton said:

Homework Statement


AQA Section A Q18 Jun 11
photbucket3_zps580de911.jpg


Homework Equations



The answer should be C

E=.5QV and C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution



So the original Q has increased by 1.5 times If C is constant than the voltage must also increase by 1.5 times

Now the energy E is E=.5QV V has increase by 1.5 and and so has Q which is 2.25

Infact in typing this out I think I just solved it. Is this logic and method ok

Seems fine to me.
 
Yup. You may recall that the energy stored in a capacitor is also given by:


[itex]E = \frac{1}{2}CV^2[/itex]
​