Scared to major in Physics, Chemistry or EE?

In summary, Chemistry and Electrical Engineering (EE) are two distinct fields, with Chemistry focusing on the properties and composition of matter and EE dealing with electricity and electronics. If you are hesitant about majoring in Physics, it may be best to avoid EE as well since it also involves a significant amount of physics. However, if you enjoy working with instruments, a BS in Chemistry may provide better job prospects. Another option is Engineering Physics, which combines aspects of electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry and can lead to various job opportunities in research, technology development, and the high-tech industry. Graduate studies in Physics or Engineering Physics can also be pursued with this degree. Ultimately, it is important to determine your career goals before choosing an academic program.
MathGangsta
Chemistry or EE? How do they differ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First up, why scared to major in Physics?

Next, Chemistry and EE are totally different fields. Chemistry deals with the properties, structure, and composition of matter. Electrical engineering is the study of...electricity (duh) and electronics, as well as their applications.

If you are scared to major in Physics then do not try an EE either because it have quite a bit of physics.

You're a math gangster, physics shouldn't be so bad! All it is, really, is math+reality.

Scared in terms of jobs.. I wouldn't plan on doing a PhD, although maybe a Master's. From what everyone says, Physics majors do Engineering jobs. I guess I'm confused on the whole Physics Bachelor's thing. I would like to get into scientific instrumentation. Like analytical Chem, or something like that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

MathGangsta said:
Scared in terms of jobs.. I wouldn't plan on doing a PhD, although maybe a Master's. From what everyone says, Physics majors do Engineering jobs. I guess I'm confused on the whole Physics Bachelor's thing. I would like to get into scientific instrumentation. Like analytical Chem, or something like that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I think it's easier to get a job with a BS in chemistry than a BS in physics (just based on my experience). Especially if you like working with instruments, you should consider going with chemistry.

In my part of the world - Seattle - knowing environmental testing (e.g., EPA methods) is quite marketable, even in this economy.

lisab said:
I think it's easier to get a job with a BS in chemistry than a BS in physics (just based on my experience). Especially if you like working with instruments, you should consider going with chemistry.
Certainly different markets/regions may produce different demands for particular disciplines.

MathGangsta needs to figure out what he/she wants to do professionally, then pursue an academic program that will provide the background and training to become proficient in the particular discipline.

Beside physics, chemistry or EE, there is engineering physics, chemical engineering, or a variety of other engineering disciplines, as well as the possibility of double major, or major + minor.

One has to determine what one would like to do professionally first. Otherwise, one can pick a program, go onto grad school for MS, and then hope there is a job out there.

If you do engineering physics, one of the many specialties you can focus on is the engineering of new materials.

From personal experience, the work I've been doing this summer focuses on part of the scientific foundation of quantum computing (via one method), the creation of quantum dots. One of the strongest new waves in the field (as I've seen) is the attempt to harness molecules to act as these quantum dots in one's computer circuits (so a lot of the articles I've been reading lately have a strong chemistry component to them as well as electrical engineering and quantum physics).

Thus, my point is, if you do engineering physics, you can find yourself working with electrical engineering, physics, chemistry, and even computer science, a great mix if you're someone like me who likes to learn a lot about a whole lot of different, related topics.

If you are only going to get a bachelor's degree, you will want it to be an engineering degree.

How are the prospects of an Engineering Physics major, both in terms of employment right out of college and graduate school?

thrill3rnit3 said:
How are the prospects of an Engineering Physics major, both in terms of employment right out of college and graduate school?

From University of Saskatchewan
http://physics.usask.ca/EP_Pamphlet-2.htm
About the Graduates and Jobs
We have found that the special mix of fundamental science and practical skills that Engineering Physics graduates learn make them very employable. Graduates have found jobs in research, technology development, optics and software sectors of industry. Many of our graduates have obtained employment with universities, government laboratories and companies such as Nortel, JDS Uniphase, Corning, SED Systems, MDRobotics, Cameco, Kipp-Zonen and other local and international high technology companies. Graduates are well equipped to pursue post-graduate studies in any area of Physics or Engineering Physics should they so desire.
http://physics.usask.ca/

At University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
http://physics.illinois.edu/prospective/undergrad_curriculum.asp (Compare physics with engineering physics)

EP is usually an undergrad program, but there are a few graduate programs, e.g., the one at RPI. Usually as a graduate student, one becomes highly specialized.

See RPI's options here - http://www.eng.rpi.edu/mane/
http://www.eng.rpi.edu/mane/ug_curriculum_eng_phy.cfm

So there are lots of options both academically and professionally.

1. Why are these majors considered scary?

These majors are often considered scary because they involve complex concepts and require a strong understanding of math and science. Many students may also feel intimidated by the reputation of these subjects.

2. Is it true that these majors have a high workload?

While these majors do require a significant amount of time and effort, the workload can vary depending on the individual and the specific courses they take. It is important to manage your time effectively and seek help when needed.

3. Will I struggle if I don't have a strong background in math and science?

Having a strong foundation in math and science can definitely be helpful, but it is not necessarily a requirement. These majors often have introductory courses that can help students catch up on any necessary knowledge.

4. What career opportunities are available with these majors?

A degree in physics, chemistry, or electrical engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, technology, healthcare, and more. These majors also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in related fields.

5. How can I overcome my fear of these majors?

It is important to remember that fear is a natural response to new challenges. Seeking support from professors, classmates, and tutors can help you gain a better understanding of the material and build confidence in your abilities. It is also important to stay motivated and remind yourself of your long-term goals.