1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering amplitude of diffracted beam by a crystal

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The scattering amplidtude, F, of a, by a crystal, diffracted beam is defined to be:

(1) [itex]F=\sum{_\vec{G}}\int n_{\vec{G}}e^{i(\vec{G}-\delta\vec{k})\cdot \vec{r}}\mathrm{d}V[/itex]

The integral is over all the volumeelements, dV, of the crystal.
    [itex]n_{\vec{G}}[/itex] is the local electron concentration of the crystal in dV, [itex]\vec{G}[/itex] is a reciprocal lattice vector and the sum is over the set of all the reciprocal lattice vectors. [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the position vector of dV
    further [itex]-\delta\vec{k}=\vec{k}-\vec{k'}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] is the wave vector of the incomming beam and [itex]\vec{k'}[/itex] is the wave vector of the outgoing scattered beam.

The beam could be
    fotons, electrons neutrons etc. It is descibed as a plane wave.

It is easy to see that [itex]F=n_{\vec{G}}V[/itex] when [itex]\delta \vec{k}=\vec{G}[/itex]

But how can it be shown that F is negligibly small when [itex]\delta \vec{k}[/itex] differs sginificantly from any [itex]\vec{G}[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

I thought some expression for the summation could be used.

Maybe

(2) [itex]\sum{_m=0}^{M-1}x^m=\frac{1-x^{M}}{1-x}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I cant find a away to make (1) fit in to (2). And if i just look at (1) i really am lost.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted