1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering Amplitude for Many Particles (Born Approximation)

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that the scattering amplitude off of a single atom is [tex] f_{1}(\vec{q}), [/tex] find the scattering amplitude for 1) four atoms each placed in the corner of a square of length a, and 2) two atoms a distance d apart

2. Relevant equations

The total scattering amplitude can be written as

[tex] f_{total}(\vec{q})=f_{1}(\vec{q})\sum_{i=1}^{n}e^{-i(\vec{q}\cdot \vec{r}_{i})} [/tex]

where [tex] \vec{r}_{i} [/tex] is a vector that points from the origin to a particle.

3. The attempt at a solution

For the square of side a, I place the origin at the center and assume the particles are in the xy plane. That means particle 1 (in quadrant 1) would be at the location (a/2,a/2), particle 2 would be at (-a/2,a/2), particle 3 would be at (-a/2,-a/2), and particle 4 would be at (a/2,-a/2). The sum is then

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{4}e^{-i(\vec{q}\cdot \vec{r}_{i})}
    = e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{a}{2}))}+e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{-a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{a}{2}))}+e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{-a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{-a}{2}))}+e^{-i(q_{x}(\frac{a}{2})+q_{y}(\frac{-a}{2}))}
    =4\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{x})\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{y}) [/tex]

The problem is that according to the solution, there should be √2 in the denominator instead of 2. Can anyone see where I am going wrong?

I also know that for a cube of length a with a particle at each corner, the scattering amplitude is

[tex]f_{total}(\vec{q})=8\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{x})\cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{y}) \cos(\frac{a}{2}q_{z})[/tex]

where now 2 in the denominator is correct. So, if there is any pattern, I would expect the scattering amplitude for the the 2 atoms a distance d apart (on the x axis) to look something like

[tex]f_{total}(\vec{q})=2\cos(\frac{d}{2^{\frac{1}{4}}}q_{x})[/tex]

If this is correct, I can't get this to fall out of the math. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2
    The 1/√2 comes from the dot product. Remember that a[itex]\bullet[/itex]r = |a|*|r|*Cos(θ).

4. Apr 2, 2013 #3
    I'm well aware of that. I calculated the dot product above in component form: I resolved q into x and y components and the vector r into its components for eacf particle. Particle 1 had a x component of a/2 and a y component of a/2, particle 2 etc. Calculating the dot product your way does not allow one to resolve q into its components, as it is in the supposed answer.

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4
    You're right, and actually I believe the answer should have a factor of 2, not square root of 2. Solving the two atom problem gives me a factor of 2 in the denominator and not square or quartic root of 2. Perhaps the solutions are incorrect?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted