E+e- -> gamma f0 -> gamma pi0 pi0 cross section with VMD

In summary, the cross-section for the process e+e- --> gamma f0(980) --> gamma pi0 pi0 can be calculated using the vector meson dominance model. The effective Lagrangian for this process includes terms for electromagnetic, strong, and vector meson interactions. The matrix element for this process can be written using Feynman's rules, and the cross-section can then be calculated from the matrix element.
liberulo
e+e- --> gamma f0 --> gamma pi0 pi0 cross section with VMD

Homework Statement

Find the cross-section of ##e^+e^- \to \gamma f_0(980) \to \gamma \pi^0 \pi^0## using the vector meson dominance model.

Homework Equations

Some Feynman's rules:

The photon propagator is [itex] -i \frac{g_{\mu\nu}}{q^2} [/itex].
The propagator of ##\varphi##-meson is ##-i \frac{g_{\mu\nu} - \frac{q_\mu q_\nu}{m_\varphi^2}}{q^2 - m_\varphi^2 + i m_\phi \Gamma_\varphi}##, ##\Gamma_\varphi## - the particle width .
The ##\gamma \varphi##-vertex is ##-i e \frac{m_\varphi^2}{g_\varphi}##.
##g_{\varphi \omega f_0}## is the ##\varphi \omega f_0##-vertex constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

The effective Lagrangian is
[tex]
\mathcal{L} = \mathcal{L}_{QED} + \mathcal{L}_{em} + \mathcal{L}_{str},
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\mathcal{L}_{str} = g_{\varphi \omega f_0} {F_\varphi}^{\alpha \beta} {F_\omega}^{\mu \nu} \varepsilon_{\alpha \beta \mu \nu} f_0 + g_{f_0 \pi^0 \pi^0} f_0 \pi \pi,
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathcal{L}_{em} = -e \frac{{m_\varphi}^2}{g_\varphi} \Phi^\mu A_\mu -e \frac{{m_\omega}^2}{g_\omega} \Omega^\mu A_\mu.
[/tex]
## \Phi^\mu, \Omega^\mu, A_\mu, f_0, \pi ## - ##\varphi##, ##\omega##, photon, ##f_0##, ##\pi^0## fields.

After that I try to write the matrix element for the ##e^+e^- \to \gamma f_0(980) \to \gamma \pi^0 \pi^0## diagram. There is my trouble.
[tex]
i M = \bar{v} (-i e \gamma_\mu ) u \cdot
\left(-i \frac{g^{\mu \nu}}{q^2} \right)
\left( -ie \frac{m_\varphi^2}{g_\varphi}\right)
\left( -i \right) \frac{g_{\nu\alpha} - \frac{q_\nu q_\alpha}{m_\varphi^2}}{q^2 - m_\varphi^2 + i m_\varphi \Gamma_\varphi} g_{\varphi \omega f_0}
\left( -i \right) \frac{g^{\alpha \beta} - \frac{k^\alpha k^\beta}{m_\omega^2}}{k^2 - m_\omega^2 + i m_\omega \Gamma_\omega}
\left( -ie \frac{m_\omega^2}{g_\omega}\right)
\cdot \\ \cdot
( k^\tau {\epsilon_{\gamma}}^\sigma - k^\sigma {\epsilon_{\gamma}}^\tau )
\varepsilon_{\tau \sigma ? ?}
\cdot
\frac{-i}{r^2 - m_{f_0}^2 + i m_{f_0} \Gamma_{f_0}} g_{f_0 \pi^0 \pi^0}
[/tex]
k - the radiative photon four-momentum, ##\epsilon_{\gamma}## - the photon polarization, r - ##f_0## four-momentum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Then I will calculate the cross section, but I don't know how to write the matrix element correctly. Please, help me!

1. What is E+e- -> gamma f0 -> gamma pi0 pi0 cross section with VMD?

E+e- -> gamma f0 -> gamma pi0 pi0 cross section with VMD is a process in particle physics where an electron and its antiparticle, the positron, collide and produce a photon (gamma) and a scalar meson (f0) which then decays into two neutral pions (pi0) through the Vector Meson Dominance (VMD) mechanism.

2. What is the significance of studying this cross section?

Studying the E+e- -> gamma f0 -> gamma pi0 pi0 cross section with VMD can provide insights into the fundamental interactions between particles and the underlying structure of matter. It can also help in testing the validity of theoretical models and understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. How is the cross section calculated?

The cross section is calculated by measuring the number of events where the E+e- -> gamma f0 -> gamma pi0 pi0 process occurs and comparing it to the total number of events in the electron-positron collision. This ratio is then multiplied by the known cross section for the production of the photon and scalar meson to obtain the desired cross section.

4. What is the role of VMD in this process?

VMD plays a crucial role in the E+e- -> gamma f0 -> gamma pi0 pi0 process as it describes the interaction between the photon and the scalar meson. It is based on the idea that the photon can fluctuate into a virtual vector meson, which then decays into the scalar meson and two neutral pions. This mechanism is important in understanding the properties of the scalar meson and its interaction with other particles.

5. What are the potential applications of this research?

Studying the E+e- -> gamma f0 -> gamma pi0 pi0 cross section with VMD can have various applications, such as improving our understanding of the strong force, which governs the interactions between quarks and gluons, and searching for new particles beyond the Standard Model of particle physics. It can also have practical applications in fields such as medical imaging, nuclear energy, and particle accelerator technology.