1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering of two charged particles

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical charged particles, each of mass [itex]m[/itex] and charge [itex]e[/itex], are intitialy far apart. One of the particles is at rest at the origin, and the other approaching it with velocity [itex]v[/itex] along the line [itex]x=b, y=0[/itex] where [itex] b=e^2/2 \pi \epsilon_0 mv^2[/itex]. Find the scattering angle in the CM frame, and the directions in which the two particles emerge in the Lab.

It then quotes a relevant section which was on Rutherford Scattering

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Calling [itex]x=b, y=0[/itex] a line threw me off. I'm not sure what they mean by that.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure either. Maybe they mean that the particle is initially traveling in the x-z plane along a line that is parallel to the z axis at x = b.

4. Aug 3, 2016 #3
    That does make sense, although why introduce a third dimension if the particles are in a plane? Anyway I'll try it with what you say.

5. Aug 3, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good point.

The important thing is that the projectile particle is initially moving along a straight line with impact parameter b. I think that's all you really need to know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted