Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to a question involving the appearance of ##(i/\hbar)^2## in the derivative of an exponential function. The values of a, e, and x are also mentioned, with e representing Euler's number and a being a constant. The conversation also suggests using first-year differential and integral calculus to better understand this concept.
GeolPhysics
I've got the solution to the question but I just need more detail. I can't work out the first step of the solution to the second step.
IMG_20190903_092948.jpg

IMG_20190903_093320.jpg
That should read, I don't know what they multiplied ih-bar by to make it (i/h-bar)^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused as to what you donate understand. Is it the appearance of ##(i/\hbar)^2## or it going away on the next line?

DrClaude said:
I'm confused as to what you donate understand. Is it the appearance of ##(i/\hbar)^2## or it going away on the next line?
Yeah, it's the appearance of ##(i/\hbar)^2##

It comes from the derivative of the exponential.

$$
\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} e^{ax} = a^2 e^{ax}
$$

DrClaude said:
It comes from the derivative of the exponential.

$$
\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} e^{ax} = a^2 e^{ax}
$$
I only managed to get this. Can you show me the exact steps on how you ended up with the second line?
IMG_20190907_174757.jpg
And what are the values of a, e and x?

GeolPhysics said:
And what are the values of a, e and x?
Did you intend to ask what ##e## is? It’s Euler’s number, and ##exp(a)## is another notation for ##e^a##. If you not already familiar with its properties you’re going to have to put some time into first-year differential and integral calculus before you can take on Schrodinger’s equation.

If that was just a slip of the typing fingers, go back to the ##\psi## suggested in the text, then rewrite the exponential of sums as a product of exponentials. Now you’ll be able to take the second derivative with respect to ##x## to get the ##(i/\hbar)^2## factor.

To add to what @Nugatory said, ##a \in \mathbb{C}## is a constant and ##x## is the independent variable, as in the differentiation.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space?

The Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a particle in a three-dimensional space without any external forces acting on it. It is a partial differential equation that includes the particle's position, time, and mass.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation derived for a free particle in 3d space?

The Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space is derived by applying the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle. It is based on the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the particle, and the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position and time.

3. What are the key concepts in the Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space?

The key concepts in the Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space include the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position and time, the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the particle, and the time-dependent and time-independent parts of the equation, which govern the evolution of the particle over time.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space is used in a variety of practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of electrons in a material, determining the energy levels of atoms and molecules, and developing quantum computing algorithms. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as semiconductors and lasers.

5. What are the limitations of the Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space?

The Schrodinger equation for a free particle in 3d space has some limitations, including its inability to accurately describe the behavior of particles at very high energies and its failure to account for the effects of gravity. It also does not take into account the interactions between particles, which are important in many physical systems. However, it remains a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of particles on a quantum level.