Schrodinger's Cat vs. The Principle of Explosion

In summary, Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment designed to illustrate counterintuitive issues in quantum mechanics. It shows that before we observe or measure a system, it can exist in a state of superposition (such as a "dead and alive cat"). However, once we observe or measure the system, it collapses into one definite state. This raises questions about the nature of reality and our ability to truly understand it. It is a paradox that highlights the limitations of our current understanding of quantum mechanics.
I can't see any reason for it not to be a cat anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
dauto said:
As I understand the question, this thread is not supposed to be about interpretations of Quantum Mechanics. It is about whether quantum mechanics states that the cat might in principle (forget about the inpracticality of creating a macroscopic superposition for a moment) be alive and not alive at the same time,

The point is the answer to that is interpretation dependent.

According to the Copenhagen interpretation prevalent at the time the thought experiment was proposed there is no issue - the cat is alive or dead at the time the box is opened - or even if it is not opened.

What Schrodinger's Cat does is highlight an issue with Copenhagen's assumption of a classical world that measurements appear in. The same with the Ensemble interpretation that Einstein held to - but that was very much a minority interpretation at the time. Not that Einstein would have minded in the least - it was simply further evidence for his view QM was incomplete.

The explosion theorem? Never heard of that one. Even did an internet search and it drew a blank.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
The explosion theorem? Never heard of that one. Even did an internet search and it drew a blank.
It's rule #1 in logic: Contradictions cannot exist. Aka the law of non-contradiction. The reason is that if a logical system allows even one single contradiction, a statement that is both true and false, then every statement can be proven to be simultaneously both true and false. Ex falso sequitur quodlibet: From falsehood anything follows, aka the "principle of explosion."

Do an internet search on principle of explosion.

D H said:
It's rule #1 in logic: Contradictions cannot exist.

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

My background is in applied math - its used all the time in proving theorems. You assume something and show it leads to a contradiction. Sometimes its the only way to prove something, but even if it isn't it quite often is the easiest.

Despite the fact I personally have used it many many times, and read textbooks that use it with gay abandon, I have never heard it given any kind of name or formal title. You learn something new every day.

Thanks
Bill

dauto said:
You misunderstand me. I'm not denying Quantum Mechanics. I'm explaining it. The answer must be no because the explosion theorem unleashes all sorts on inconsistencies. But alas Quantum Mechanics does not trigger the explosion theorem, despite appearance.

Actually, it is required by theory and experiment that all objects, incl.the cat, be in superposition. The tricky part is why we observe either a dead or alive cat and as I stated a bit earlier the most consistent interpretations on this are the MWI and the CI (or some combination of the two), by far the most popular interpretations out there. There would have been a conflict and an explosion of inconsistencies if we observed superpositions but we do not. We only observe classical stuff. It's been proven in multiple experiemnts in the last decade that this is exactly the case for all objects tested - from pieces of metal to currents flowing in superconducting rings. You just have to remove the special condions that we as observers are finding ourselves in and voila - you learn a lot of ground breaking stuff about how the world works.

That's quite enough. I have closed this thread. This thread started on a bad footing, talking about philosophy, and now it is threatening to devolve into yet another "my interpretation of QM is better than yours" kind of thread.

Report this post (click on the report button) if you don't like that I closed this thread and want it re-opened. Your complaints will *not* be taken against you. (That's assuming the report isn't laden with expletives. We will take that against you.) I'll start the process by reporting this post myself.