1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Schrodinger's Equation, Potential Energy Barrier U>E

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider particles incident on a potential energy step with E<U.
    (That is, a particle with total energy E travels along one dimension where U=0, then crosses, at point x=0 into a region where U>E.) (The particle is incident on the potential energy step from the negative x direction.)

Starting with the wave functions,

x < 0: Ψ0 = A’e^(ikx) + B’e^(-ikx), k = 2mE/h_bar2
    x >= 0: Ψ1 = Ce^(k1x) + De^(-k1x), k1 = 2m(U-E)/h_bar2

Apply the boundary conditions for Ψ and dΨ/dx and show that the full wave intensity is reflected at the step [i.e., |A'|^2 = |B'|^2].

2. Relevant equations
    Ψ0(x=0) = Ψ1(x=0)
    dΨ0(x=0)/dx = Ψ1(x=0)/dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set C=0, or else the wave function Ψ1 may become infinity.

The boundary conditions are stated above. They become
    A' + B' = D
    and
    ikA' - ikB' = -k1D

How, from this, do I find that
    |A'|^2 = |B'|^2
    ?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2
    you have two equations and three unknowns..

my hint for your:

write A and B in terms of D .. and i noted something in your solution (you may not need it, but i will say it anyway) when you wrote k = 2mE/h_bar2, and k1 = 2m(U-E)/h_bar2, they should actually be k^2 and k1^2 .. finally after you find A and B in terms of D find AA* (which is |A|^2) and BB* (which is |B|^2) you need to write them in that form since you will have to find a complex conjugate of both of them ..

good luck with this .. and tell us what you get .. :)

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    Yay, I got it! I didn't have enough faith in algebra, was my problem. I often don't.

Thanks!

5. Apr 9, 2010 #4
    :) u r welcome .. next time dont give up so fast..

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook