1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Schrodringer's Equation (Quantum Phys)

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Eq. 38-18 Keep both terms, putting A=B=Ψo. The equation then describes the superposition of two matter waves of equal amplitude, travelling in opposite directions.(Recall that this is the condition for a standing wave.)
    (a) Show that |Ψ(x,t)|^2=2Ψo^2[1+Cos(2kx)]
    (b) Plot tihs function, and demonstrate that it describes the square of the amplitude of a standing matter wave.
    (c) Show that the nodes of this standing wave are located at
    x=(2n+1)1/4(λ) where n=1,2,3,. . .
    and λ is the de Broglie wavelength of the particle.
    (d) Write a similar expression for the most probable locations of the particle.

2. Relevant equations
    (1) Ψ(x,t)=Ae^[i(kx-wt)]+Be^[-i(kx-wt)] (this is Eq. 38-18)
    (2) λ=h/p (de Broglie wavelength)
    (3) e^(iθ)=cosθ+isinθ
    (4) e^(-iθ)=cosθ-isinθ

3. The attempt at a solution

What i did was took equation 1 above and substituted B in for A on the first part. That gave me
    Ψ(x,t)=B(e^[i(kx-wt)]+e^[-i(kx-wt)])

I then substituted (kx-wt) for θ so that I could use equations 3 and 4. This yielded(after some algebra):
    Ψ(x,t)=B(2cos(kx-wt))

Next i used the angle difference formula to separate the KX and WT and then I squared both sides of the equations. After about 4 more lines of work and some degree reducing I ended with and have hit a roadblock:

4B^2=cos(kx)cos(wt)Cos(kx-wt)+ (1-cos2kx)/2 + (1-cos2wt)/2

The last two terms were sin^2(kx) sin^2(wt) but i reduced the degrees because the final equation i'm looking for is all cosines.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure you copied equation 38-18 correctly?

4. Mar 19, 2010 #3
    Yes it is a solution to Schrodinger's equation for a free particle traveling in an arbitrary "x" direction.

5. Mar 19, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, the sign of ω is incorrect in the second term.

6. Mar 19, 2010 #5
    Oops, I do have it copied correctly in my notes, just not in my post.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook