1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schutz GR Book, Question about World line.

1. Mar 7, 2017 #1
    This isn't homework, nor is it an exercise problem; merely a question about a diagram.

Re: B.Schutz book "A First Course in General Relativity" 2nd Edition, (Asian print version), page 5, Figure 1.1 "A spacetime diagram in natural units".

From section 1.4 Spacetime diagrams:
    A world line is the locus of events observed by the reference frame as a particle moves with velocity v.
    The vertical axis is t. The horizontal axis is x.
    The equation is: slope=dt/dx = 1/v where v=1 is the speed of light.
    When v=1, the slope of the world line is positive at 45 degrees. When v>1, the slope is positive but less than 45 degrees.

Q: The World line for |v|<1 has a negative slope - goes from upper left to lower right. Can someone explain why this slope is negative and why not positive greater than 45 degrees?

Lou.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF.

Suppose that you wish to draw a world line corresponding to |v| = .5, which is an example of |v| < 1. There are two possible values of v that satisfy |v| = .5; namely, v = +.5 and v = -.5. So, if you wanted to draw a world line that satisfies |v| = .5, you have a choice of drawing a line with a positive slope of 2 or a line with a negative slope of -2. Either line would make an angle with respect to the x-axis that has a magnitude greater than 45o. Schutz chose to draw a line corresponding to the negative value of v that satisfies |v| < 1.

4. Mar 7, 2017 #3
    I understand your logic. Not very kind of Schutz to omit that small explaination
    Thanks for your help.
    I see dizzying notation coming in the next sections. I may need more help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted