1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A question from a book about relativity

1. Jul 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello ,
    I have a question please , I read in the book ( reflections on relativity ) that :-
    Suppose a particle accelerates in such a way that it is subjected to a constant proper acceleration a0 for some period of time. The proper acceleration of a particle is defined as the acceleration with respect to the particle's momentarily co-moving inertial coordinates at any given instant. The particle's velocity is v = 0 at the time t = 0, when it is located at x = 0, and at some infinitesimal time t later its velocity is t a0 and its location is (1/2) a0 t2. The slope of its line of simultaneity is the inverse of the slope 1/v of its worldline, so its locus of simultaneity at t = t is the line given by
    http://www.m5zn.com/uploads/2010/7/2/photo/0702100307469iwmjeb2nqrkvn4j.bmp
    And my question is how did we derive the last equation ?

I need help please .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's just the point-slope form of a line:

[tex]y-y_0 = m(x-x_0)[/tex]

where the line has slope m and passes through the point (x0,y0). In this case, you have t is in the role of y. Just plug in what the rest of the paragraph tells you and you'll get the derived formula.

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3
    very thanks .

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    Please I have another thing here , my book states that :-
    “ This line intersects the particle's original locus of simultaneity at the point (x,0) “
    I can’t understand this statement , please I want someone to explain and prove this statement for me .
    I need help please .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook