Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inner product of two complex vectors and using it to determine if the Schwarz inequality is true. The correct inner product is determined to be -4 and the absolute value squared is found to be 50, showing that the inequality holds true.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-3-13_22-6-26.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I just want to make sure I am doing this right
$$<a|b> = a_{x}^{*}b_{x} + a_{y}^{*}b_{y} + a_{z}^{*}b_{z}$$
$$= [(1-i)|x>][-i|x>] + (2 |y>)(-3 |y>) + (0|z>)(|z>)$$
$$=(-i + i^{2})|x> - 6 |y> + 0|z>$$
$$=(-1-i)|x> - 6 |y> $$

Then to find ##\mid<a|b> \mid^{2}##, I need to take the complex conjugate since this is a complex vector
$$\mid<a|b> \mid^{2} = [(-1-i)|x> - 6|y> + 0|z>][(-1+i)|x> - 6|y> + 0|z>]$$
$$= 2|x> + 36 |y> + 0|z>$$

Now I want to make sure that this is even right before I spend time evaluating the other inner products to determine if Schwarz inequality is true.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 80297

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I just want to make sure I am doing this right
$$<a|b> = a_{x}^{*}b_{x} + a_{y}^{*}b_{y} + a_{z}^{*}b_{z}$$
$$= [(1-i)|x>][-i|x>] + (2 |y>)(-3 |y>) + (0|z>)(|z>)$$
$$=(-i + i^{2})|x> - 6 |y> + 0|z>$$
$$=(-1-i)|x> - 6 |y> $$

Then to find ##\mid<a|b> \mid^{2}##, I need to take the complex conjugate since this is a complex vector
$$\mid<a|b> \mid^{2} = [(-1-i)|x> - 6|y> + 0|z>][(-1+i)|x> - 6|y> + 0|z>]$$
$$= 2|x> + 36 |y> + 0|z>$$

Now I want to make sure that this is even right before I spend time evaluating the other inner products to determine if Schwarz inequality is true.

The inner product is just a number not a vector. Try that again. In your formula ##a_x## is just the coefficient of ##(1+i)|x>##, i.e. ##(1+i)##.

Likes gfd43tg
ok, so then
$$<a|b> = 1 - i^{2} - 6 = -4$$
$$<a|a> = 1 + 1 + 4 = 6$$
$$<b|b> = 1 + 9 + 1 = 11$$

So clearly ##16 \le 6(11)##

Thanks

Maylis said:
ok, so then
$$<a|b> = 1 - i^{2} - 6 = -4$$
$$<a|a> = 1 + 1 + 4 = 6$$
$$<b|b> = 1 + 9 + 1 = 11$$

So clearly ##16 \le 6(11)##

Thanks

Better slow down a bit. I don't think <a|b> comes out to -4. Want to show the steps that lead to that?

Sure,

$$(1-i)(-i) + 2(-3) + 0(1)$$
$$=-i+i^{2} - 6$$
$$=-i-7$$
So then the absolute value squared is ##(-i - 7)(i - 7) = -i^{2} + 49 = 50##

So ##50 \le 66##

Maylis said:
Sure,

$$(1-i)(-i) + 2(-3) + 0(1)$$
$$=-i+i^{2} - 6$$
$$=-i-7$$
So then the absolute value squared is ##(-i - 7)(i - 7) = -i^{2} + 49 = 50##

So ##50 \le 66##

That's better.

1. What is the Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation?

The Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation is a mathematical expression that relates the inner product of two vectors to the norms of those vectors. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics and is named after its discoverer, German mathematician Hermann Schwarz.

2. How is the Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation written?

The Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation is written as |⟨A|B⟩|² ≤ ⟨A|A⟩⟨B|B⟩, where |A⟩ and |B⟩ represent vectors and the ⟨⟩ notation represents the inner product.

3. What is the significance of the Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

The Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation is used to prove the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. It also plays a crucial role in the study of entanglement and quantum information theory.

4. Can the Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, it is a special case of the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which can be applied to any number of dimensions.

5. How is the Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation used in practical applications?

The Schwarz inequality with bra-ket notation is used in various mathematical and physical applications, such as in quantum computing algorithms, signal processing, and statistical mechanics. It is also a fundamental tool in the analysis of quantum entanglement and the development of quantum technologies.