Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwarzschild and Newton potential

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    Expressing the Schwarzschild in the Weyl form allows one to use the Newton potential. The Newton potential here is, perhaps surprisingly, equivalent with a rod of length 2M and mass M. Also the rod is exactly positioned where r = 2M. Furthermore if we decrease the length of the rod to the solution of a point mass, the solution is no longer spherically symmetric.

What, if anything, do you think is the significance of all this?

Fair question: Does the Schwarzschild solution refer to a removed rod or to a removed point mass?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2
    Wait a minute, what do you mean by "Weyl form" here? And then how was the above image of the Newtonian potential in this "form" given?

AB

4. Jun 24, 2010 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

Do you have a reference I can look at ? One way of putting a Schwarzschild black hole into a Weyl vacuum is discussed in this paper, arXiv:gr-qc/0502062v1, but their [itex]\psi[/itex] ( equation 8) doesn't look like a Newtonian potential.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. Sep 16, 2011 #4
  6. Sep 17, 2011 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

This is a well-known result, but no, I don't think there's any significance to it.

7. Sep 17, 2011 #6
    The significance, if any is that since nothing can be physically a rod and a point at the same time that would make r=2m a physical singularity. So I would take Bill's advice and ignore it.

8. Sep 17, 2011 #7
    Ignoring things that can both be interesting and educational?

Looks like this forum is going downhill.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook