1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwarzschild Solution using Cartan's Equations

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    Im having some trouble coming up with my six independent connection 1-forms.

I have been given a metric:

[tex]g = -H_0(r)^2dt\otimes dt + H_1(r)^2 dr\otimes dr + r^2 d\theta\otimes d\theta + r^2\sin^2\theta d\phi \otimes d\phi[/tex].

I need to find [itex]H_0(r)[/itex] and [itex]H_1(r)[/itex], which are functions of r and not t, so the solutions are static. I must calculate everything using Cartan's formalism.

So the first thing I did was choose my orthonormal basis:
    [tex]e_0 = \frac{1}{H_0(r)}\partial_t \quad e_1 = \frac{1}{H_1(r)}\partial_r \quad e_2 = \frac{1}{r}\partial_{\theta} \quad e_3 = \frac{1}{r\sin\theta}\partial_{\phi}[/tex]

so that my dual basis is:
    [tex]\varepsilon^0 = H_0(r)\mbox{d}t \quad \varepsilon^1 = H_1(r)\mbox{d}r \quad \varepsilon^2 = r\mbox{d}\theta \quad \varepsilon^3 = r\sin\theta\mbox{d}\phi[/tex]

Now, using Cartan's structural relations I calculated:

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{20}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge \varepsilon^3\quad [1][/tex]
    [tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^1 = -\omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [2][/tex]
    [tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2 = \omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{20}\wedge \varepsilon^0\quad [3][/tex]
    [tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^3 = \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^1 + \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [4][/tex]

But now I am stuck. I should be able to find 6 independent connection 1-forms but I dont know how to simplify all the above equations. Any guidance from here would be very helpful.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2
    I tried computing the derivatives of the dual basis directly, but Im not sure if that helps me:

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^1 = \mbox{dd}\varepsilon^1 = 0[/tex]

since [itex]\mbox{d}\circ\mbox{d}=0[/itex].

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2 = \mbox{d}r\wedge\mbox{d}\theta + r\wedge \mbox{dd}\theta[/tex]
    [tex]= \mbox{d}r \wedge\mbox{d}\theta[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \frac{1}{r}\varepsilon^2[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^3 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^3 + \frac{\cot\theta}{r}\varepsilon^2 \wedge \varepsilon^3[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^0 = \mbox{d}(H_0(r)\mbox{d}t)[/tex]
    [tex] = \mbox{d}H_0(r)\mbox{d}t \wedge H_0(r) \mbox{d}r\mbox{d} [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_0(r)}\varepsilon^0 \wedge \frac{H_0(r)}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1[/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^0[/tex]

Note: The prime refers to differentiation with respect to r
  4. Apr 27, 2006 #3
    To summarize:

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^0 = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{20}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge \varepsilon^3 \quad [1][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^1 = 0 = -\omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [2][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2 = \omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{20}\wedge \varepsilon^0\quad [3][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^3 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^3 + \frac{\cot\theta}{r}\varepsilon^2 \wedge \varepsilon^3 = \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^1 + \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [4][/tex]

Do these look right to anyone?
  5. Apr 28, 2006 #4
    Perhaps I could help this process along with a further hint which I really like some explanation of:

Apparently in the next step of my calculations I should be able to recognize that from [4] we have

[tex]\omega_{30} = \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0[/tex]

and substituting into [1] we see that [itex]\Gamma_{300} = 0[/itex] since it is the sole coefficient of the 2-form basis element [itex]\varepsilon^3 \wedge \varepsilon^4[/itex].

All of this, I dont get :( If anyone is willing to explain how this all works, then I may be able to do a lot of simplification and come up with, hopefully, 6 independent connection 1-forms.
  6. Apr 28, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just a suggestion, Oxymoron....You may want to post this on the Differential Geometry boards. There are very knowledgeable people there that will surely help you out.

7. Apr 29, 2006 #6
    Ok, I have posted a similar thread in the Diff. Geometry and Tensor board.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?