Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwarzschild Solution using Cartan's Formalism

1. Apr 29, 2006 #1
    I posted a thread in the Homework section on my attempt to find the Schwarzschild solution using Cartan's method instead of the orthodox Christoffel symbol method. Unfortunately I wasn't getting any help :redface:

Then I was asked to move the thread to this section because I may get more attention, but this might infringe upon the rule that no homework be posted here. So I will keep it brief:

In that thread (which you are welcome to check out - for my working and stuff) I found 4 equations:

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^0 = \frac{}{}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{20}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge\varepsilon^3 [1][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^1 = 0 = -\omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [2][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2 = \omega_{12}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^3 - \omega_{20}\wedge \varepsilon^0\quad [3][/tex]

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^3 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^3 + \frac{\cot\theta}{r}\varepsilon^2 \wedge \varepsilon^3 = \omega_{13}\wedge\varepsilon^1 + \omega_{23}\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \omega_{30}\wedge\varepsilon^0\quad [4][/tex]

The problem Im having is that from this information I should be able to find 6 independent connection 1-forms. The advice I have been given is this: "It should be obvious from [4] that [itex]\omega_{30} = \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0[/itex] and substituting this into [1] we have [itex]\Gamma_{300} = 0[/itex] since it is the sole coefficient of the 2-form basis element [itex]\varepsilon^3 \wedge \varepsilon^0[/itex]" and "Similarly, from [1] we have [itex]\omega_{20} = \Gamma_{202}\varepsilon^2[/itex]"

Unfortunately, this is not obvious to me :redface". And apparently we can put all this together to make

[tex]\omega_{10} = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^0 + \Gamma_{101}\varepsilon^1[/tex]

If it is possible for anyone to explain to me where they got this connection 1-form from I would be sooo happy and relieved!!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2
    EDIT! Equation 1 is meant to read

[tex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^0 = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^0 = ...[/tex]

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3
    Ok I think I am part of the way to understanding it:

From [4], for some unknown reason, we have

[tex]\omega_{30} = \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0[/tex]

Similarly from [3], we have

[tex]\omega_{20} = \Gamma_{200}\varepsilon^0[/tex]

Substituting into [1] we have

[tex]\frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge\varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10}\wedge\varepsilon^1 - \Gamma_{200}\varepsilon^0\wedge\varepsilon^2 - \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0\wedge\varepsilon^3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^0 = -\omega_{10} \wedge \varepsilon^1[/tex]

[tex]\omega_{10} = \frac{H_0(r)'}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^0[/tex]

How does this look? Besides for the fact that I dont know why [itex]\omega_{30} = \Gamma_{300}\varepsilon^0[/itex] :redface:

5. May 6, 2006 #4
    Does anyone know how to calculate this:

[tex]\mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2\right)[/tex]

I am currently trying to work out the Connection two-forms. I have

[tex]\omega_{12} = \frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2[/tex]

Then from Cartan's second structural equation we have

[tex]R_{12} = \mbox{d}\omega_{12} + \omega_{13}\wedge\omega_{32} + \omega_{10}\wedge\omega_{02}[/tex]

the last two terms vanish and we are left with

[tex]R_{12} = \mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2\right)[/tex]

I used Maple 10 and tried differentiating this. The peculiar thing is this: If I made

[tex]H_1(r) = \frac{1}{\exp\left(-\frac{1}{2}\lambda(r)\right)}[/tex]

then

[tex]R_{12} = \mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\varepsilon^2\right) = \frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}r'\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2[/tex]

which is the answer I want! BUT if I differentiate manually I keep getting:

[tex]\mbox{d}\left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\right) = \left(\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{1}{H_1(r)} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}r'\right)\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2 + \left(-\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\right)\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2[/tex]

[tex]= \left(\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{1}{H_1(r)} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}r'\right)\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2 - \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}\varepsilon^1 \wedge \varepsilon^2[/tex]

since [itex]\mbox{d}\varepsilon^2 = \frac{1}{rH_1(r)}\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/itex].

[tex]=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}\left[\frac{1}{r} + \frac{1}{2}r' - \frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)}\right]\right)\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/tex]

when I really want this bit to look like:

[tex]=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}\left[\frac{1}{r} + r' - \frac{1}{r}\right]\right)\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/tex]

Notice the subtle difference? Because then

[tex]=\left(\frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{H_1(r)^2}r'\right)\varepsilon^1\wedge\varepsilon^2[/tex]

Which is the correct answer.

Please help me!

Last edited: May 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?