Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Science behind Einstein vs. Bohr Debate?

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    On a episode of "PBS Spacetime" (fantastic youtube series, go check it out), the host mentioned that Bohr believed that reality doesn't exist until a quantum system is observed. Einstein believed that the universe still runs independently outside of a conscious observers mind. What is the actual science behind both of these accusations if there is any? I hope this isn't too philosophical for the forum. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The concept of a "conscious" observer being needed was dropped about 100 years ago.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #3
    I thought a quantum system chose which quantum state it was in once observed? Like in the quantum eraser experiment? can you clarify how a conscious observer is not needed in a case like that?

5. Jan 4, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

A conscious observer is NEVER required. "Observation" does not mean "by a conscious observer" it just means detection of some characteristic.

6. Jan 4, 2017 #5
    Changed the post to satisfy the information you gave to me, thanks!

7. Jan 4, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The actual science is the same either way. These are just two different interpretations of the same physics. Neither one has much currency nowadays, since, as phinds mentioned, the idea that consciousness is required for an "observer" has long since been dropped.

8. Jan 5, 2017 #7

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The man who first transformed it into a proper science was John Bell:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

Another more recent breakthrough was the PBR theorem:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBR_theorem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted