Science Jokes

I think nobody has mentioned it yet:

www.physlink.com - some jokes (even good) can be found

P.S. Probably everyone knows this site and I'm just making idiot of myself at the moment

Njorl

Science Advisor
Matt-235 said:
Since this also seems to be a good place for bad math jokes and the like, remember that [tex]\frac{sin x}{n} = 6[/tex]
It took me a depressingly long time to get this :redface:

Njorl

Njorl said:
It took me a depressingly long time to get this :redface:

Njorl
I still can't get it - can I please explanation

jimmy p

Gold Member
its a silly little thing. If you remove the 'n' from sinx then you are left with 'six'. I had to do a double take when i read it.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Heisenberg is racing down the autobahn, when a cop pulls him over for speeding.

"Do you know how fast you were driving, Sir ?", the cop asks him.

Heisenberg replies, "No, but I know where I am."

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I used to drive a Heisenberg. They came with either a speedometer or an odometer.

Ivan Seeking said:
I used to drive a Heisenberg. They came with either a speedometer or an odometer.
And with either a watch or a fuelmeter.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Graffiti in a classroom used for a college calculus class :

" 1 + 1 = 3, for large values of 1 "

You Might be a Physics Major...
...if you have no life - and you can PROVE it mathematically.

...if you enjoy pain.

...if you know vector calculus but you can't remember how to do long division.

...if you chuckle whenever anyone says "centrifugal force."

...if you've actually used every single function on your graphing calculator.

...if when you look in a mirror, you see a physics major.

...if it is sunny and 70 degrees outside, and you are working on a computer.

...if you frequently whistle the theme song to "The X-Files."

...if you always do homework on Saturday nights.

...if you know how to integrate a chicken and can take the derivative of water.

...if you think in "math."

...if you've calculated that the World Series actually diverges.

...if you hesitate to look at something because you don't want to break down its wave function.

...if you have a pet named after a scientist.

...if you laugh at jokes about mathematicians.

...if the Humane society has you arrested because you actually performed the Schrodinger's Cat experiment.

...if you can translate English into Binary.

...if you can't remember what's behind the door in the science building which says "Exit."

...if you have to bring a jacket with you, in the middle of summer, because there's a wind-chill factor in the lab.

...if you are completely addicted to caffeine.

...if you avoid doing anything because you don't want to contribute to the eventual heat-death of the universe.

...if you consider ANY non-science course "easy."

...if when your professor asks you where your homework is, you claim to have accidentally determined its momentum so precisely, that according to Heisenberg it could be anywhere in the universe.

...if the "fun" center of your brain has deteriorated from lack of use.

...if you'll assume that a "horse" is a "sphere" in order to make the math easier.

...if you understood more than five of these indicators.

….if you make a hard copy of this list, and post it on your door.

this page has some good ones

http://www.juliantrubin.com/physicsjokes.html

i particularly like:

When a snail crossed the road, he was run over by a turtle. Regaining consciousness in the emergency room, he was asked what caused the accident. "I really can't remember," the snail replied. "You see, it all happened so fast."

------------------------

Rene Descartes sits down for lunch at a Parisian restaurant. The waitress asks for his order. He orders a hamburger.
The waitress inquires, "Would you like fries with that? " Descartes says, "I think not," ...and instantly disappears.

-----------------------------

Heisenberg is out for a drive when he's stopped by a traffic cop. The cop says, "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Heisenberg says, "No, but I know where I am."

-----------------

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
36 squared? The sum of (x + y + z) squared, of course.

I remember a story my dad used to tell at parties about a salesman and a mathematician riding next to each other on a train.

They passed a stockyard filled with cattle and the salesman exclaimed, “Wow, I’ve never seen so many cows in all my life! There must be thousands in that stockyard!”.

The mathematician turns to him and says, “Actually, there’s 7,458 cows in that stockyard.”

“How’d you count all of those cows, so fast?”, the salesman asked.

“Easy, I counted their legs and divided by 4”, replied the mathematician.

My dad was a little hard to read, since he always had such a serious look on his face no matter what, so people would look at him a little uncertain for a second, and finally reply, “Oh, that’s clever.” I guess that works whether he’s showing them a clever method of counting cows or telling them a really joke.

Well, me, I’m a just a kid, at the time. If the adults at the party can’t tell if he’s serious or joking, how am I supposed to tell. I had a tendency to repeat things like that around the neighborhood thinking I was showing off how smart I was. Which other kids in the neighborhood were quick sense was total rubbish.

And, hence the great cow counting challenge was staged. Unfortunately, we lived in the city. The only cow in the neighborhood was the picture of Elsie on the billboard outside the Borden dairy plant. No matter.

The smart-aleck girl from next door and I met (with the proper witnesses) down by the billboard ready to settle the best way of counting cows.

The kind of cute (in an intellectual sort of way) girl with the glasses from down the street yelled, “Go!”

Almost instantly, both of us contestants finished counting Elsie, with the smart aleck girl screaming “One!” just a thousandth of a second after I shouted “Zero!”

You see, the billboard only showed Elsie’s head, so there were no legs to count. And I ask you, who was closest to the right answer? What’s the purpose of a cow if not to give beef or milk and how can you get a steak from just a cow’s head. And how are you going to get milk from Elsie's head? Tell her jokes til milk comes out her nose? I’m thinking that’s going to take awhile, especially if all’s you know are math jokes.

Njorl

Science Advisor
Two physicists are flying in their hot air ballon and get lost. They drift low to the ground and see a man. One shouts out, "Where are we?" to which the man on the ground responds, "You're in a balloon."

The other physicist then asks, "Are you a mathematician?", to which the man on the ground answrs "Yes."

As they float off, the first physicist asks, "How did you know he was a mathematician?". The other responds, "Well, he was completely accurate, and completely useless."

Njorl

Physics songs anyone?
http://www.dctech.com/physics/humor/songs.php#solong
The first song is by Feyman!

Other jokes from: http://www.physlink.com/Fun/Jokes.cfm

Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

To get to the same side. (credit: Tom Gregg)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Issac Newton: Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest, chickens in motion tend to cross roads. (credit: Muhammad Ahmed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A neutron walks into a bar; he asks the bartender, 'How much for a beer?' The bartender looks at him, and says 'For you, no charge.'

Two fermions walk into a bar. One orders a drink. The other says 'I'll have what he's having.' (credit: Jeff Nastasi)

Two atoms bump into each other. One says 'I think I lost an electron!' The other asks, 'Are you sure?', to which the first replies, 'I'm positive.'

Renee Descartes walks into a bar, the bartender says 'sir can I get you a martini 'Descartes says 'I don't think...' and he disappears (credit: OCROWLEY101)

Where does bad light end up? Answer: In a prism! (credit: Gary Lisica)

Heisenberg is out for a drive when he's stopped by a traffic cop. The cop says 'Do you know how fast you were going?' Heisenberg says 'No, but I know where I am.'

W hy did the chicken cross the road? Albert Einstein: Whether the chicken crossed the road or the road crossed the chicken depends on your frame of reference.

There is this farmer who is having problems with his chickens. All of the sudden, they are all getting very sick and he doesn't know what is wrong with them. After trying all conventional means, he calls a biologist, a chemist, and a physicist to see if they can figure out what is wrong. So the biologist looks at the chickens, examines them a bit, and says he has no clue what could be wrong with them. Then the chemist takes some tests and makes some measurements, but he can't come to any conclusions either. So the physicist tries. He stands there and looks at the chickens for a long time without touching them or anything. Then all of the sudden he starts scribbling away in a notebook. Finally, after several gruesome calculations, he exclaims, 'I've got it! But it only works for spherical chickens in a vacuum.'

jimmy p

Gold Member
A science graduate asks: "Why does it work?"

An engineering graduate asks: "How does it work?"

An accounting graduate asks: "How much does it cost?"

An arts graduate asks: "Do you want fries with that?"

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A hardware guy, a software guy and a sales rep of a big computer company are driving to a meeting, when the car suddenly stops. The software guy suggests that they shut down and restart, 'cause that usually fixes the problem. The hardware guy suggests they swap drivers. The sales rep decides that it's time to buy a new car.

A passing Linux programmer see the trouble and smashes all the glass in the car with his baseball bat. Before the stunned passengers can react he asks the driver to try starting the car again. The car starts up just fine this time.

Moral : "Just get rid of Windows, and you'll be okay"

There is a computer engineer, a psychologist and a genetic engineer in a room arguing about which occupation came first. The genetic engineer says 'I must have come first because God took a rib from Adam and made Eve and that takes genetics so God was a genetic engineer and I, therfore, came first'. The psychologist says 'No you are wrong. I came first because God took the world from chaos to peace and so God was a psychologist and so I came first'. The computer engineer just sits back smug with a grin on his face. 'Ahhh yes', he says,' Good points. But where go you think the chaos came from!'

The Bob (2004 ©)

There is a class room full of Alkali Metal ions being taught chemistry. Then outside the window a group of Halogen ions appear. The Alkali Metal ions go mad and bounce of the walls and the window. The teachers comment is 'Perhaps one of you gentlemen would mind telling me just what it is outside the window that you find so attractive....?'

There should be a picture here as well.

Took me ages to stop laughing after seeing it. I had only just learnt about ionic bonding when I found it.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Attachments

Quick limerick for you:

There once was a lady called bright,
Who's speed was faster than light,
She left one day,
In a relative way,
And returned on the previous night.

Got it from a program on BBC 1 about Stephen Hawking. The actor said it was by Elly Merich.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Question posed to a biologist:
What is the evolutionary advantage in having knees that bend forward instead of backwards…i.e. why don’t our knees bend the other way?
Answer:
“Bipedal animals that had backward-bending knees could only run backwards and they kept bumping into trees. That's why they became extinct.”

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not a science joke but nevertheless, here goes :

How do we know that Jesus was not born in the US ?

No one's been able to find 3 wise men, or a virgin !!