Science masters possible if you don't have a science BA?

In summary, the speaker has a BA in a non-science related field but has always been interested in math and science. They regret not pursuing their interests in college and are now considering going back to school for a degree in physics or engineering. They are currently self-studying math and feel they have a good understanding of STEM subjects, but understand the importance of earning course credit and transcripts. They may have a longer path ahead of them, but it is possible to pursue a second degree in a science field.
NekotoKoara
Hello. So, I went to school and got my BA in a degree not at all related to science. I graduated in 2012 and have been working in my filed since then. I enjoy the work mostly but have recently been feeling a lack of satisfaction in my profession.

I have for most of my life loved math and science but grew up feeling that I could never achieve anything in those interests. Now as working adult I am starting to regret not pursuing those interests while I was still in college.

Has anyone reading this had the experience of getting a degree in a non-science related field and later on getting a degree in say physics or engineering? What was your process like? Did you have to get another BA or were you able to go and get a MA or PhD without experiencing undergraduate life 2.0?

Even if you haven't been through an experience like this but feel you may have some advice for me please feel to share.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe easier to go in the other direction. One would still need to earn credits in and related to the new area of interest, according to Bachelor of Arts/Science degree requirements. Possibly one would not need so much of the general education requirements (but unsure so you need to check with the institution that you want to attend). If the new degree interest is for sciences or mathematics, then you are deficient in the Mathematics and several science courses.

I said, "easier to go in the other direction", because by the time one becomes a regular adult and worked a few years, one is ready to handle mature-type subjects such as History, Literature, and various humanities. Mathematics, Engineering, Sciences, are usually more than just a bit different from the social studies and humanties courses.

How do you feel about college level mathematical courses like College Algebra, Trigonometry, "Elementary Statistics", Calculus & Analytic Geometry?

Thank you for your reply, @symbolipoint. I would say that my mathematical skills are better than the average adult who has been out of college for 5 years. For the past several months, as I have been contemplating this life transition, I have been refining my skills via various online math sources as well as teaching myself new topics. Presently I am working my way through what I think would be the equivalent of Calculus I material. And while I do find it challenging at times I actually find it quite enjoyable a lot of the time.

While it would certainly be easier for me to get a humanities degree, I do not feel it would bring me as much happiness or a sense of fulfillment. I spend a good amount of my free time reading and watching videos on various STEM subjects and feel I am able to understand them conceptually quite well but desire a deeper understanding of many topics, particularly when it comes to physics.

NekotoKoara

What really counts is having gone through and earned course credit in College Algebra & Trigonometry, Calculus 1, and whatever else the degree program needs for you to do/earn, because although self-directed study is good, you will need actual course credit (and transcripts to show), along with the more realistic development which comes through grinding through being enrolled in them for credit/grade. This does not mean that your self study was a waste; it may have been helping you for when you "take the courses for real".

This thread may be of interest to you.

In general, a lot can depend on the details of your undergraduate degree. For example, if you had an undergraduate degree in physical chemistry and had most of the core coursework that would come with a typical undergraduate degree in physics, then most programs would likely be willing to consider you on par with applicants who have an undergraduate degree in physics.

But the fact that you're just now covering first year calculus suggests that you have a longer path ahead of you, i.e., that you'll need to go back for another undergraduate degree that is going to cover enough material so that you'll be on equal footing with most of the other applicants.

To the OP:

Perhaps as a matter of inspiration, one of my classmates had previously earned his BA in philosophy (with a minor in computer science) and finished his MA in philosophy, and then worked in the tech sector for several years before returning for a second bachelor's degree in math, and then proceeded to finish his PhD in that field. So it is certainly possible for you to pursue second degrees in a science field. Of course, much would depend on your prerequisites beforehand, and whether you had put in the work in understanding the preliminary material.

Best of luck in your endeavours!

1. Can I pursue a science masters if I did not major in science for my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a science masters even if you do not have a science BA. Many universities offer bridge programs or post-baccalaureate programs that allow students to gain the necessary prerequisites for a science masters. Additionally, some programs may consider applicants with a strong background in a related field or extensive work experience in the scientific field.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to students who have a science BA?

It depends on the specific program and your individual qualifications. While having a science BA may provide a solid foundation, it is not always a determining factor for success in a science masters program. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores, in addition to academic background.

3. What steps can I take to prepare for a science masters without a science BA?

One option is to take relevant undergraduate courses or enroll in a post-baccalaureate program to fulfill the necessary prerequisites. You can also gain research experience through internships or volunteering in a laboratory setting. Additionally, studying and reviewing materials related to your desired field of study can help prepare you for the rigor of a science masters program.

4. Will I have the same career opportunities with a science masters without a science BA?

Having a science masters can open up a variety of career opportunities, regardless of your undergraduate major. Many employers value the specialized knowledge and skills gained through a science masters program. However, some positions may require a specific undergraduate major, so it is important to research the specific requirements for your desired career path.

5. Are there any advantages to pursuing a science masters without a science BA?

One potential advantage is that you bring a unique perspective and diverse background to the program. This may be beneficial, especially in interdisciplinary fields. Additionally, having a diverse academic background can make you a well-rounded and adaptable scientist, which is highly valued in the job market.