Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Science project in math and physics

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my last year in this step of my education I'm going to construct a project based on the subjects of physics and mathematics.

2. Relevant equations
    So I was wondering if you had any ideas to an exciting and maybe even bit difficult subject to work with. I don't care if it's a really difficult subject though ;) So I can get a good idea of what I'm gonna deal with.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The subjects I like really most in physics, is things like:
    Einsteins equations, subatomic scales, nuclear physics and atomic physics.
    So things like that.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2
    Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to devise experiments in your fields of interest.
    But it's not hopeless.
    -Young's double slit experiment is one of the most enlightening experiments ever. All you need is a laser and a double-slit thingy, or a diffraction grating.
    -The photoelectric effect is a really good one too. You need lasers, metal targets, and a multimeter. (this one would be really good because the interpretation of what is going on is pretty cool.)
    These two are timeless classics.
    -If you're interested in radioactivity, you might be able to find a radioactive source inside an old smoke detector. Then, if you can get a Geiger counter, you can measure how much of the radiation gets absorbed by various different shields. I would advise against this experiment because I don't encourage the idea of playing with radioactive sources.

Also, just try googling "physics experiments". I'll bet a lot of cool ones will come up.

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    Actually. If you did the double-slit experiment AND the photo electric effect, you would have demonstrated that light, in fact, has both particle and wave-like properties.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook