1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Science project in math and physics

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In my last year in this step of my education I'm going to construct a project based on the subjects of physics and mathematics.

2. Relevant equations
    So I was wondering if you had any ideas to an exciting and maybe even bit difficult subject to work with. I don't care if it's a really difficult subject though ;) So I can get a good idea of what I'm gonna deal with.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The subjects I like really most in physics, is things like:
    Einsteins equations, subatomic scales, nuclear physics and atomic physics.
    So things like that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2
    Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to devise experiments in your fields of interest.
    But it's not hopeless.
    -Young's double slit experiment is one of the most enlightening experiments ever. All you need is a laser and a double-slit thingy, or a diffraction grating.
    -The photoelectric effect is a really good one too. You need lasers, metal targets, and a multimeter. (this one would be really good because the interpretation of what is going on is pretty cool.)
    These two are timeless classics.
    -If you're interested in radioactivity, you might be able to find a radioactive source inside an old smoke detector. Then, if you can get a Geiger counter, you can measure how much of the radiation gets absorbed by various different shields. I would advise against this experiment because I don't encourage the idea of playing with radioactive sources.

Also, just try googling "physics experiments". I'll bet a lot of cool ones will come up.
  4. Nov 25, 2008 #3
    Actually. If you did the double-slit experiment AND the photo electric effect, you would have demonstrated that light, in fact, has both particle and wave-like properties.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?