How should I express this angle in words?

• B
  • Thread starter ChanYoung Park
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Swing
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a concise expression in words to describe the displacement angle (theta) of a swing from equilibrium, with positive angles in the forward direction and relative to the vertical. It is suggested to provide a datum zero for any position variable in mechanics and to use a diagram in addition to clear word definitions. The question is raised whether "inclination angle" or "polar angle" can be used for this purpose, if a spherical coordinate system is chosen with its origin at the hinge and proper directions for positive orientation. It is noted that the research question will be marked based on the clarity of the dependent and independent variables.
ChanYoung Park
ZL5dhwn.png

Hi! The diagram above is showing a man swinging a swing (a facility you can find in playgrounds) back and forth. I'm trying to come up with a concise expression in words that describes the angle noted as theta so that I can write a clear and effective research question (theta is the independent variable in my research). How should I express this angle in words (or in English)??

Attachments

• ZL5dhwn.png
    ZL5dhwn.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 907
Physics news on Phys.org
My attempt...
Where theta is the displacement angle of the swing from equilibrium.

Likes sophiecentaur and FactChecker
NickTheFill said:
My attempt...
With positive angles in the forward direction.

--- relative to the vertical . You must always provide a datum zero for any position variable in mechanics .

Nidum said:
--- relative to the vertical . You must always provide a datum zero for any position variable in mechanics .
FactChecker said:
With positive angles in the forward direction.
NickTheFill said:
My attempt...
So will it be
"Displacement angle of swing from equilibrium relative to the vertical with positive angles in the forward direction"...?

Likes FactChecker, berkeman and CWatters
ChanYoung Park said:
How should I express this angle in words (or in English)??
I would have thought that a diagram with the displacement angle and the restoring force marked would be quite good enough. It is a very standard set up and not likely to be to be misunderstood. Maths is often better than words to describe such things. No need to worry overmuch. I think.

Likes nasu
sophiecentaur said:
I would have thought that a diagram with the displacement angle and the restoring force marked would be quite good enough. It is a very standard set up and not likely to be to be misunderstood. Maths is often better than words to describe such things. No need to worry overmuch. I think.
Even with full use of mathematics, a careful and precise definition of the variables and coordinate systems is a good practice.

sophiecentaur said:
The problem is that I will get marks for my research question and it will be marked based on how clear the dependent and indenpendent variables are; it's mentioned in the criteria...

ChanYoung Park said:
The problem is that I will get marks for my research question and it will be marked based on how clear the dependent and indenpendent variables are; it's mentioned in the criteria...
Then you want a diagram and the correct word descriptions. The diagram helps very much to visualize but I have seen many diagrams that get too complicated to really be clear about each part. Therefore, clear word definitions are also nice.

Last edited:
Can't we simply call it "inclination angle" or "polar angle"?. Isn't it so if we choose a spherical coordinate system with its origin at the hinge? (and proper directions for positive orientation).

What is an angle?

An angle is a geometric figure formed by two rays or lines that meet at a point called the vertex. It is measured in degrees or radians.

How do you measure an angle?

An angle can be measured using a protractor. Place the center of the protractor on the vertex of the angle and align one of the rays with the baseline of the protractor. The number where the other ray intersects the protractor is the measure of the angle.

What is the difference between acute, right, and obtuse angles?

An acute angle is less than 90 degrees, a right angle is exactly 90 degrees, and an obtuse angle is greater than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees.

How should I express an angle in words?

To express an angle in words, use the degree measure followed by the word "degrees". For example, an angle with a measure of 45 degrees would be expressed as "45 degrees".

How can I use trigonometry to find the measure of an angle?

Trigonometry uses the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to calculate the measure of an angle. By knowing the length of two sides of a right triangle, you can use inverse trigonometric functions to find the measure of the angle.