1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How should I express this angle in words?

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1
    ZL5dhwn.png

Hi! The diagram above is showing a man swinging a swing (a facility you can find in playgrounds) back and forth. I'm trying to come up with a concise expression in words that describes the angle noted as theta so that I can write a clear and effective research question (theta is the independent variable in my research). How should I express this angle in words (or in English)??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2017 #2
    My attempt...
    Where theta is the displacement angle of the swing from equilibrium.

4. Dec 4, 2017 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With positive angles in the forward direction.

5. Dec 4, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

--- relative to the vertical . You must always provide a datum zero for any position variable in mechanics .

6. Dec 4, 2017 #5
    So will it be
    "Displacement angle of swing from equilibrium relative to the vertical with positive angles in the forward direction"....?

7. Dec 4, 2017 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have thought that a diagram with the displacement angle and the restoring force marked would be quite good enough. It is a very standard set up and not likely to be to be misunderstood. Maths is often better than words to describe such things. No need to worry overmuch. I think.

8. Dec 4, 2017 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even with full use of mathematics, a careful and precise definition of the variables and coordinate systems is a good practice.

9. Dec 4, 2017 #8
    The problem is that I will get marks for my research question and it will be marked based on how clear the dependent and indenpendent variables are; it's mentioned in the criteria...

10. Dec 4, 2017 #9

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you want a diagram and the correct word descriptions. The diagram helps very much to visualize but I have seen many diagrams that get too complicated to really be clear about each part. Therefore, clear word definitions are also nice.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  11. Dec 5, 2017 #10

Delta²

Gold Member

Can't we simply call it "inclination angle" or "polar angle"???. Isn't it so if we choose a spherical coordinate system with its origin at the hinge? (and proper directions for positive orientation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted