Scott Dodelson Modern Cosmology 4.2

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with an exercise from Scott Dodelson's Modern Cosmology book, specifically in Chapter 4 about the Boltzmann equation in the synchronous gauge. They are looking for a solution to the exercise and express frustration that it is not provided in the back of the book. However, the responder states that they cannot provide a solution but can offer guidance if the speaker posts their own attempt at solving the problem.
H.fulls
Hi guys, I recently started reading/working through Scott Dodelson's Modern Cosmology in preparation for a Masters course I'm taking next year and one of the exercises has stumped me and (arghhh!) its not one of the solved ones in the back!
It is in Chapter 4 (The Boltzmann equations) and is exercise 2. The exercise concerns the Boltzmann equation in the synchronous gauge. Does anyone know where I can get a solution from just so I can see how it's done!

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
We can't provide solutions to specific problems. The best we can do is to help you try to work through a solution yourself if you post an attempt at one.

[Edited to remove request to post in the homework forums; this forum is OK for graduate-level problems, but we still do need an attempt at a solution.]

Last edited:

1. What is "Scott Dodelson Modern Cosmology 4.2" about?

"Scott Dodelson Modern Cosmology 4.2" is a textbook that provides an in-depth and up-to-date overview of the field of cosmology, covering topics such as the Big Bang theory, dark matter, dark energy, and the evolution of the universe.

2. Who is Scott Dodelson?

Scott Dodelson is a renowned cosmologist and professor at Carnegie Mellon University. He has over 20 years of experience in the field and has contributed to many important discoveries and theories in cosmology.

3. Is "Scott Dodelson Modern Cosmology 4.2" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the textbook is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for both beginners and more advanced readers. It also includes helpful examples and diagrams to aid in understanding complex concepts.

4. What makes "Scott Dodelson Modern Cosmology 4.2" different from other cosmology textbooks?

One of the main differences is that it is a very recent publication, meaning it includes the most up-to-date research and theories in the field. It also has a strong focus on the mathematical foundations of cosmology, making it a valuable resource for advanced students and researchers.

5. Can "Scott Dodelson Modern Cosmology 4.2" be used as a reference book?

Yes, the textbook is organized in a way that makes it easy to use as a reference book. It includes a comprehensive index and glossary, making it a useful resource for finding specific information or clarifying concepts.