Modern Graduate Level Cosmology Textbook.

In summary, the conversation discusses two books on cosmology, "Modern" Cosmology by Scott Dodelson and Introduction to Particle Cosmology by A. D. Dolgov and Cosimo Bambi. The speaker praises Dodelson's rigorous approach but notes that it is outdated as of 2017. On the other hand, they appreciate the modern and up-to-date information in Introduction to Particle Cosmology but wish for more depth and rigor. They ask for recommendations for a modern (2015-2017) graduate level textbook on cosmology. Another person suggests S. Weinberg's Cosmology, published in 2008. The speaker expresses concern about the book's age, but still considers it a potential recommendation
xdrgnh
I've been reading a lot of "Modern" Cosmology by Scott Dodelson and Introduction to Particle Cosmology by A. D. Dolgov and Cosimo Bambi. I like how rigorous and through Dodelson is but in 2017 it is quite dated. I love how modern and up to date Introduction to Particle Cosmology is but I wish it can be a bit more rigorous in and in depth. Does anyone know of any modern(2015-2017) graduate level textbook on Cosmology that they can recommend me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope, it's not too old already for you, but I'd suggest

S. Weinberg, Cosmology, Oxford University Press (2008)

In what ways is Dodelson outdated?

Likes Demystifier

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole. It aims to understand the fundamental laws of nature that govern the universe and the processes that have shaped it over billions of years.

2. What is a graduate-level cosmology textbook?

A graduate-level cosmology textbook is a comprehensive and advanced textbook that covers the major topics and theories in cosmology. It is designed for students at the graduate level who have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics.

3. What makes a modern cosmology textbook different from older ones?

A modern cosmology textbook incorporates the latest research and discoveries in the field of cosmology. It also takes into account recent advancements in technology and observational techniques, providing a more up-to-date understanding of the universe.

4. What topics are typically covered in a modern graduate-level cosmology textbook?

A modern graduate-level cosmology textbook covers a wide range of topics, including the Big Bang theory, inflation, dark matter, dark energy, cosmic microwave background radiation, galaxy formation and evolution, and the structure of the universe.

5. What are the prerequisites for studying a modern graduate-level cosmology textbook?

A strong foundation in physics and mathematics is essential for studying a modern graduate-level cosmology textbook. It is also recommended to have prior knowledge in astrophysics and general relativity to fully understand the concepts and theories presented in the textbook.