Screen capture of Windows Media Player

In summary, Screen VidShot is a useful program for taking screen captures. Avidemux is a utility for editing videos which has movie maker capability and also an option to save images as jpeg.
pmb_phy
I have a mpeg video which I can play using Windows Media Player. I tried to do a screen capture using Paint Shop Pro. However the screen capture was unable to capture the image of the video on my screen. How can I get a video image into a jpeg file?

Pete

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try using windows movie maker. It will allow snapshots of your video . Also Animation shop would break up the movie into frames, then just save the individual frame as a jpeg.

Media player uses diectX to draw directly to the video bypassing windows - so most screen capture won't work it just 'sees' the reserved area that directX is drawing into.
You could use something like VLC ( a free media player) to save a single frame or search for a screen capture that can do directX

As suggested, Windows Movie Maker is the simplest solution with what you already have [in Accessories...].

An alternative to using VLC, I prefer "Media Player Classic"... which can also save frames to a file. (Media Player Classic is my main video player... instead of using WMP.)
[command-line] MPlayer can extract frames from video into a file... which can be used in a script.

For something fancier than a media player...
try Virtualdub [which can import MPEG]... which can copy a frame to the clipboard.

For general screen-captures, including these video layers, try SnagIt.

I wonder if its possible for Paint Shop Pro to do the capture
by setting your video-card hardware-acceleration (in Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot) to "None"...
possibly turning off DirectX features.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was able to capture the photos I wanted and was able to construct the web page I wanted to create.

The video is from Bob Lazar's web site. Its at
http://www.boblazar.com/closed/download.htm#DISCFLIGHT.MPG

On the web page I just created I show that the video is a fraud. Its not as if it was hard to do either. Lazar claims to be a physicist who worked at Area 51 where the tested alien flying discs. He claims he was involved in the back engineering of the flying disk (although all he has for proof is a W2 form which shows he received $900 from US Naval inteligence in 1987). The video is quite reminisent of a commutor generated animation. The obvious fault, which Lazar either missed or didn't figure out, was that the light rays which are casting a shadow of the disk on the desert floor cannot have come from the Sun but had to come from a nearby point source! Its really obvious so you don't need the diagrams I created nor the web page either. Take a look and see what a poor job this so-called physicist did. :rofl:

Best wishes

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer use the program Screen VidShot, it very helps me in work.

Avidemux is a utility which has movie maker capability and also an option to save images as jpeg. It is available through snapfiles.

1. How do I take a screen capture of Windows Media Player?

To take a screen capture of Windows Media Player, you can use the built-in screenshot function on your computer or use a third-party screen capture software. For the built-in function, you can press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard to take a screenshot of the entire screen, or use the "Alt + Print Screen" shortcut to capture only the active window. If you prefer a third-party software, there are many options available for download online that offer additional features.

2. Can I capture a specific frame or scene from a video playing on Windows Media Player?

Yes, you can. Windows Media Player has a feature called "frame by frame" that allows you to go through a video frame by frame. To use this feature, simply pause the video at the desired frame and click on the "Next Frame" or "Previous Frame" button located in the bottom left corner of the player. You can then use the screenshot function to capture that frame.

3. Are there any keyboard shortcuts for capturing a screen on Windows Media Player?

Yes, there are several keyboard shortcuts you can use for capturing a screen on Windows Media Player. The most common ones are "Print Screen" for capturing the entire screen, "Alt + Print Screen" for capturing the active window, and "Ctrl + I" for capturing a specific frame. You can also customize these shortcuts in the Windows Media Player settings.

4. Can I capture a screen while a video is in full-screen mode on Windows Media Player?

Yes, you can capture a screen while a video is in full-screen mode on Windows Media Player. However, the screenshot may not be of the entire screen if the video is playing in a different aspect ratio than your screen. In this case, you may need to use a third-party software to capture the full screen.

5. Is it legal to use screen captures of Windows Media Player for commercial or personal purposes?

The legality of using screen captures of Windows Media Player for commercial or personal purposes depends on the source of the video being played. If you are capturing a video that you own or have the rights to use, then it is generally considered legal. However, if you are capturing a video that you do not have the rights to use, it may be considered copyright infringement. It is always best to obtain permission or properly license any content before using it for commercial purposes.