Searching for Classical Mechanics book

• Thread starter Xian
  • Start date
So everyone here already knows how important understanding classical mechanics is so that brings me to my question; What is a good introductory mechanics book that has nice complete mathematical derivations, good well-written physics explanation, and large breadth in terms of subject matter. In other words, whats the best Classical Mechanics book out there?

Thanks in advance guys = )

Answers and Replies

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What level are you looking for? "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow is the best introductory book I've seen.

wow I used Kleppner & Kolenkow in freshman physics a long time ago (mid 1970s). It was good then and I guess it still is. The more 'advanced' classical mechanics texts (say Goldstein) quickly gets more mathematical, not too surprising since I think the study of mechanics drove the advancement of alot of math.

I have to echo the Kleppner and Kolenkow recommendation. Since you never forget your first love, for me this is the mechanics book. I'm a bit on the fence about how suitable this book is for self study, but it's truly excellent as a classroom text.

If you're interested in Lagrangian mechanics too, David Morin's Introduction to Classical Mechanics with problems and solutions covers this topic very well, still at an introductory level. A key strength of this book is a nearly unlimited supply of solved mechanics problems.

Having said that, every physics student's library should also include the Feynman Lectures, and the Landau and Lifgarbagez Mechanics book.

Is there a solutions manual to kleppner and kolenkow book???

Is there a solutions manual to kleppner and kolenkow book???
Yes. Many. Unfortunately, every one of us writes our own. :smile:

Be especially wary of the one with the trash can suspended by a column of water. The problem statement confuses kilograms and Newtons.

xristy
Gold Member
David Morin's "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" (Cambridge, 2004) is chock full of excellect derivations and many many problems with solutions.