1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Searching for Classical Mechanics book

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    So everyone here already knows how important understanding classical mechanics is so that brings me to my question; What is a good introductory mechanics book that has nice complete mathematical derivations, good well-written physics explanation, and large breadth in terms of subject matter. In other words, whats the best Classical Mechanics book out there?

Thanks in advance guys = )

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What level are you looking for? "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow is the best introductory book I've seen.

4. Apr 18, 2009 #3
    wow I used Kleppner & Kolenkow in freshman physics a long time ago (mid 1970s). It was good then and I guess it still is. The more 'advanced' classical mechanics texts (say Goldstein) quickly gets more mathematical, not too surprising since I think the study of mechanics drove the advancement of alot of math.

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4
    I have to echo the Kleppner and Kolenkow recommendation. Since you never forget your first love, for me this is the mechanics book. I'm a bit on the fence about how suitable this book is for self study, but it's truly excellent as a classroom text.

If you're interested in Lagrangian mechanics too, David Morin's Introduction to Classical Mechanics with problems and solutions covers this topic very well, still at an introductory level. A key strength of this book is a nearly unlimited supply of solved mechanics problems.

Having said that, every physics student's library should also include the Feynman Lectures, and the Landau and Lifgarbagez Mechanics book.

6. Apr 18, 2009 #5
    Is there a solutions manual to kleppner and kolenkow book???

7. Apr 18, 2009 #6
    Yes. Many. Unfortunately, every one of us writes our own. :smile:

Be especially wary of the one with the trash can suspended by a column of water. The problem statement confuses kilograms and Newtons.

8. Apr 18, 2009 #7

xristy

Gold Member

David Morin's "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" (Cambridge, 2004) is chock full of excellect derivations and many many problems with solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook