1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Derivative of Heaviside Function

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    Hello all. In short, I am wondering what the second derivative of the Heaviside function (let's say H[(0)]) would be. I'm presuming that it's undefined (or more accurately, zero everywhere but at x=0), but I would like to know if that is correct.

Essentially, I am attempting to extend a proof which uses f(x) where f''(x) is defined. I would like to extend this proof to a piecewise-constant f(x). However, one of the requirements is that f'(x) >> f''(x) >> f(n)(x). If H''[(0)] is undefined, than this approach will not work.

My attempt at a solution is as follows. Given a general, differentiable function f(x), then

[itex]\int[/itex]f(x)δ(n)dx [itex]\equiv[/itex] -[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex]δ(n-1)(x)dx

I am, however, unclear as to the meaning of δ(n-1), especially when n=1.

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The Heaviside function is defined everywhere, but it's not continuous at x = 0. What are you referring to when you say "it's undefined", the Heaviside function or its 2nd derivative? What you wrote isn't clear.

If x < 0, H'(x) = 0. If x > 0, H'(x) = 0, so on these intervals, H''(x) would also be zero.
    Both H' and H'' are not defined at x = 0.

4. Dec 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I meant that the second derivative did not exist at x=0.

My notation is sloppy (my apologies, I'm a geophysicist and a poor mathematician), but shouldn't H'=δ, where δ is the Dirac delta function? Proceeding from that, then the question becomes δ'=? That is why I was investigating the identity above, but wasn't really understanding what it was telling me.

I agree that H'' = 0 everywhere but at x=0. I suppose H''(0) is undefined.

5. Dec 4, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One definition is
    $$ H(x) = \int_{-\infty}^x δ(t)dt$$
    "although this expansion may not hold (or even make much sense) for x = 0." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_step_function
    If you differentiate both sides above, H'(x) = δ(x), using the FTC.

I was look at H(x) from the perspective of being a step function instead of as an integra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook