1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second moment of area - Need walkthrough

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I'm at uni starting off engineering, and I'm looking for a walk through in this algebra involved in the second moment of area. While I know it's probably pretty basic I'm undertaking a bridging course to try and keep up with my maths.

http://home.exetel.com.au/peleus/smoa.jpg

Here's a picture of the most relevant lecture slide discussing the problem.

I'll type out the steps they undertook to get the final formula for the second moment of area for a rectangle.

On the next page we take the integral of this, which I can do fine.

This gives

1. [tex]I = \frac{b}{3}[y^3][/tex] with limits +h/2 and -h/2

Taking it further we end up with

2. [tex]I = \frac{b}{3}[\frac{h^3}{8}-(-\frac{h^3}{8})][/tex]

and finally we take it to the step

[tex]I = \frac{bh^3}{12}[/tex]

Ok, I can understand a bit about this but here are my questions.

- Why are the limits h/2 and -h/2, isn't this simply the middle of the rectangle?
    - Why is [tex]dI = y^2 dA[/tex], where does the [tex]y^2[/tex] come from?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Because its the second moment of area. The first moment of area is defined as:
    [tex]M_x = \int_A y\,dA[/tex]
    and is commonly used to find the centroid of an object.

It's y² simply by definition.

edit: I don't quite understand your first question. I'll take a stab though. The limits are h/2 because you're finding the moment around the centroid of the object. If you were finding it about an axis on the base of the part, the limits would be 0->h. For practice, try finding the second moment of area about an axis other than the the centroidial axis.

hint: the area moment of inertia is 4 times greater about the base rather than the centroid (having y squared helps!).

4. Mar 12, 2009 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

peleus: Answers to your two questions:
    - The limits are +/-0.5*h because you are computing second moment of area about the horizontal centerline of the rectangle, in this case.
    - Moment (M) is summation of moment arm y times force on each infinitesimal area. But force on each infinitesimal area is stress times dA. However, linear elastic stress at any point on a cross section is a linear function of y times the extreme fiber stress. Now substitute all of this together and notice within this expression for M you have summation of y*y*dA, which is called second moment of area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook