Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting the Second Moment of Area and Euler's Formula Values

1. Nov 3, 2018 #1
    Hi all

I was hoping someone could remove some doubt in my mind with regards to interpreting the Second Moment Of Area and Eulers formula for buckling.

Am I correct in thinking that:-
    - The higher the Second Moment Of Area Value the more resistant to bending.
    - The lower the Second Moment Of Area Value the less resistant to bending.

Using Eulers formula for buckling I have calculated the critical load for a column in the X and Y axis, my values are:-

Ix = 25.39N
    Iy = 634N

Am I correct in interpreting these results as the column will buck in the x axis first because it will only take 25.39N of load before it buckles - is this correct?

I can do the math it is the concept I struggle with (doesn't help that I have a crap tutor).

thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2018 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Buckling is a function of Young’s modulus, E, Boundary conditions , column length , and the Moment of inertia, I. For 2 columns of the same material and length and support conditions, the one with the smaller I will have a lower critical buckling load, as one might expect. Although a column bends when it buckles, I’d use the term “resistance to buckling “ rather than “resistance to bending “.Note that a perfectly straight ideal column with a compressive load applied axially will never buckle; there must be a slight initial deformation or eccentric load before it does. Also, if it is below a certain length, it will crush and fail before it ever buckles.
    yes, correct, provided that the column is not restrained in that direction.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted