Second order Taylor approximation

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical equation that involves ct, yt, and gt. The person asking for an explanation tried to solve it using a Taylor approximation but encountered additional terms not included in the original equation. They specifically want to understand how the first line of the equation was derived. Another person mentions that there are also terms involving uG and uζ in the Taylor expansion, but they are not included in the formula. They believe that some assumptions were made to make those terms equal to zero. The conversation ends with a request for the image to be re-attached so it can be reviewed.
tanvi nautiyal
Hello,
Can someone explain this to me? In the above case ct=yt-gt
I tried to solve it as a three variable taylor approximation but got a few extra terms that weren't included in the above. So I am a little confused now.
I only need to understand how the first line was derived because I get additional terms with (gt-g)(chit-chi)..https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t35.0-12/13570139_10210195219259688_119153535_o.png?oh=5a83810acd11160ed4bf6a19de37d6ec&oe=57781CBB&__gda__=1467485097_6da652cc9db77ba174ecad977bc59004

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact in the Taylor expansion you have also the terms ##u_{G}(G_{t}-G)## and ##u_{\zeta}(\zeta_{t}-\zeta)## but in the formula doesn't appear, I think there are some assumptions that permit to put zero these terms ...

PS. ##\zeta## is not chi that is ##\chi##

Likes Simon Bridge
Hey tanyi nautiyal.

Can you please re-attach the image so we can have a look at it?

1. What is a second order Taylor approximation?

A second order Taylor approximation is a mathematical method used to approximate a function by using its first and second derivatives. It is a more accurate approximation compared to a first order Taylor approximation, which only uses the first derivative.

2. When is a second order Taylor approximation used?

A second order Taylor approximation is often used in calculus and engineering to approximate the behavior of a function near a specific point. It is also used in optimization and numerical analysis to find the minimum or maximum of a function.

3. How is a second order Taylor approximation calculated?

To calculate a second order Taylor approximation, the function is expanded into a polynomial using its first and second derivatives. The polynomial is then evaluated at the point of interest, and the resulting value is an approximation of the function at that point.

4. What are the benefits of using a second order Taylor approximation?

A second order Taylor approximation provides a more accurate estimate of a function's behavior near a specific point compared to a first order approximation. It also allows for easier calculation of derivatives and optimization of functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a second order Taylor approximation?

Yes, there are limitations to using a second order Taylor approximation. It may not accurately represent the behavior of a function far from the point of interest, and it can only approximate smooth functions. Additionally, it is only an approximation and may not always provide the exact value of the function at the point of interest.