Seeing into the past through a mirror going fater than the speed of light.

In summary: in summary, if you could somehow attach a giant mirror to a spacecraft and travel to the past, you would be able to see what had happened, but it would take many years for the light to travel back to us.
Pharrahnox
I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this question, but I don't know where else it could go. If it is incorrect, can someone please move it to the correct area if that is possible.

This is a purely hypothetical question, and I am by no means good at physics (just starting out).

If it were possible to get something to go faster than the speed of light, then is it possible to view our planet's history in reverse?
My idea of achieving this is to attach a giant mirror to the back of a spacecraft capable of faster-than-light travel. At a certain point, put the mirror in place and stop. Depending on how far you traveled and at what speed faster than light, you would see a certain amount of time in the past, by getting in front of the light.
I have proposed getting in front of the light and stopping, because I am unsure of a way to reflect light backwards that is infront of you. If that was possible, then you could view our history in reverse.

I would not be surprised if many things that I have said either don't make any sense to others or are completerly incorrect or impossible, but it has been an idea that I have wanted to ask others about what they think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pharrahnox said:
I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this question, but I don't know where else it could go. If it is incorrect, can someone please move it to the correct area if that is possible.

This is a purely hypothetical question, and I am by no means good at physics (just starting out).

If it were possible to get something to go faster than the speed of light, then is it possible to view our planet's history in reverse?
My idea of achieving this is to attach a giant mirror to the back of a spacecraft capable of faster-than-light travel. At a certain point, put the mirror in place and stop. Depending on how far you traveled and at what speed faster than light, you would see a certain amount of time in the past, by getting in front of the light.
I have proposed getting in front of the light and stopping, because I am unsure of a way to reflect light backwards that is infront of you. If that was possible, then you could view our history in reverse.

I would not be surprised if many things that I have said either don't make any sense to others or are completerly incorrect or impossible, but it has been an idea that I have wanted to ask others about what they think.

This is an ill-formulated question, you cannot have objects traveling at the speed of ligh, let alone traveling faster than light. So, your question is akin to: "if 2+2=5, is it true that 3+3=7 or 8?"

Pharrahnox said:

Unfortunately, even if you could instantly place mirrors out in space to reflect back to us what happened many years ago, it would take just as many years for the light to travel back to us so that we could see what was going on, wouldn't it? So what I think you really want is mirrors that have already been in place for the past many years so that the light would already be on its way back to us, don't you agree? So if you wanted to see what was going on 10 thousand years ago, you would look at a mirror that was 5000 light years away, does that make sense to you?

So I guess it's already too late, don't you think?

Fair enough, I did not think of the fact that it would take so long to get back. Even if you could get the light from in front of the spacecraft , you would see it in reverse, still at a normal rate. So if you wanted to see far in the past, you would have to wait far in the future...

And I do see that the answers would probably be a wild guess anyway, due to the nature of the question.

1. How is it possible to see into the past through a mirror going faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects that travel faster than the speed of light experience time dilation, meaning time moves slower for them. This allows for the possibility of seeing into the past if a mirror is traveling faster than the speed of light.

2. Is this concept of seeing into the past through a mirror going faster than the speed of light proven?

While there are theories that support the idea, it has not been proven experimentally. The technology to achieve this kind of speed is currently not available.

3. How far into the past would we be able to see with this concept?

The amount of time we would be able to see into the past would depend on the speed of the mirror. The faster the mirror, the further back in time we would be able to see.

4. Could this concept be used to time travel?

No, this concept does not allow for time travel. It only allows for the observation of past events through a mirror, not physical travel to the past.

5. Are there any potential consequences or implications of seeing into the past through a mirror going faster than the speed of light?

There could be potential ethical and philosophical implications of seeing into the past. It could also challenge our understanding of time and the principles of causality.