Seeking physics advice for a math major

In summary, a senior math major with a strong interest in mathematical analysis is looking to take a physics class that utilizes advanced math skills. They have already taken the standard undergraduate calculus-based physics sequence, including mechanics, E&M, optics, thermodynamics, and introductory modern physics. They are wondering which physics courses they can handle with their math background and have been recommended to check out Electricity & Magnetism and Quantum Mechanics. However, it is unclear if the student has taken a junior level EM and Mechanics course or just the one-year sequence covering all topics.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I am a senior math major, I really like mathematical analysis (I even enjoy working nasty integrals involving special function and the like.) So I would like to take a physics class which would exploit such maths; I have taken the standard undergard calc based physics sequence, viz. mechanics, E&M, optics+thermo+intro modern physics (special relativity + wave mechanics a.k.a. quantum).

What can I handle?

PS: I know this doesn't belong here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you can get into them with just general physics as prerequisite, check out Electricity & Magnetism and Quantum Mechanics. E&M is heavy on vector calculus (divergence, gradient, curl, line and surface integrals), whereas QM is heavy on differential equations (ordinary and partial).

Edit*
When you say you've taken the regular undergrad calc based physics sequence, are you referring to a one year sequence covering all of those topics? Or did you take say Jr level level EM and Mechanics? I originally suggested taking the Graduate Electrodynamics course assuming you had the math background, but I made this suggestion thinking you had taken an EM course. I don't think I could recommend that much of a jump even if the math skills were there.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of physics for a math major?

Physics is essential for a math major as it provides a fundamental understanding of the natural world and its underlying mathematical principles. Many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations, were originally developed to solve problems in physics. Additionally, many mathematical concepts, such as vectors and complex numbers, have direct applications in physics.

2. How can physics help me in my math studies?

Studying physics can improve your problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and mathematical intuition. Physics also introduces you to new mathematical tools and techniques, such as mathematical modeling and vector calculus, that can be applied to various areas of mathematics.

3. What are some specific areas of physics that are relevant to math majors?

Some areas of physics that are particularly relevant to math majors include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. These fields involve a significant amount of mathematical reasoning and provide valuable examples for applying mathematical concepts.

4. Can studying physics be beneficial for a career in mathematics?

Yes, studying physics can be highly beneficial for a career in mathematics. Many mathematical concepts, including calculus, linear algebra, and geometry, have direct applications in physics. Furthermore, having a solid understanding of physics can open up job opportunities in fields such as engineering, data science, and finance.

5. How can I supplement my math studies with physics?

There are various ways to supplement your math studies with physics. You can take courses in physics, read books or articles on physics concepts, or attend lectures or seminars on physics topics. Additionally, many online resources, such as videos and interactive simulations, can help you further explore the connections between physics and mathematics.