1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking physics advice for a math major

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1

Homework Helper

I am a senior math major, I really like mathematical analysis (I even enjoy working nasty integrals involving special function and the like.) So I would like to take a physics class which would exploit such maths; I have taken the standard undergard calc based physics sequence, viz. mechanics, E&M, optics+thermo+intro modern physics (special relativity + wave mechanics a.k.a. quantum).

What can I handle?

PS: I know this doesn't belong here...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Assuming you can get into them with just general physics as prerequisite, check out Electricity & Magnetism and Quantum Mechanics. E&M is heavy on vector calculus (divergence, gradient, curl, line and surface integrals), whereas QM is heavy on differential equations (ordinary and partial).
  4. Jan 20, 2006 #3

When you say you've taken the regular undergrad calc based physics sequence, are you referring to a one year sequence covering all of those topics? Or did you take say Jr level level EM and Mechanics? I originally suggested taking the Graduate Electrodynamics course assuming you had the math background, but I made this suggestion thinking you had taken an EM course. I don't think I could recommend that much of a jump even if the math skills were there.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?