Selecting suitable gears for a gearbox

• Thread starter DevonZA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears
In summary, the conversation discusses the selection of suitable gears for a gearbox to transmit 5.5 kW from a 2000 rpm input shaft to a 350 rpm output shaft, with the output rotating in the same direction and along the same axis as the input. The Lewis Formula and gear ratios are used to calculate the necessary dimensions and number of gears needed for this requirement. The conversation also touches on the challenges of studying with UNISA and the potential wear on gears with a low tooth count.
DevonZA

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. A gearbox is required to transmit 5.5 kW from a shaft rotating at 2000 rpm. The desired output speed is approximately 350 rpm. The output must rotate in the same direction as the input and along the same axis. Select suitable gears.

2. Lewis Formula: ##F= \frac{Wt}{(Kv)(m)(Y)}##

I get an overall ratio of 2000rpm/350rpm = 5.71

Then I choose Np=18 and NG=100 (SG1-100) because 100/18=5.5 (these teeth numbers are from standard tables provided in the textbook - I unfortunately do not have a copy with me but I can post later)

m=1 according to table 6.7 where I have chosen SG1-100
d=mN
d=(1)(Np)
= 1x18
= 18

d=(1)(NG)
=1x100
=100
V=(d/2)XnX(2pi/60)
= (18/2)X2000X(2pi/60)
= 1884.96m/s

V=(d/2)XnX(2pi/60)
= (100/2)X350X(2pi/60)
= 1832.60m/s​
Kv=6/(6 +V)
= 6/(6+1884.96)
= 3.172991496x10^-3

Kv=6/(6 +V)
= 6/(6+1832.6)
=3.263352551x10^-3​
Wt= Power/V
= 5500W/1884.96
= 2.92N

Wt= Power/V
= 5500W/1832.6
= 3N​
F= Wt/(Kv)(m)(Y)
= 2.92/(3.172991496x10^-3)(1)(0.39502)
= 2329.67

F= Wt/(Kv)(m)(Y)
= 3/(3.263352551x10^-3)(1)(0.51321)
= 1791.27​

I'm not sure what to do from here. This question actually appears in Mechanical Design by K.Maekawa, T. Obikawa, Y. Yamane, T.H.C Childs but no solution is provided.

Last edited:
Likes Christiaan
Physics news on Phys.org
DevonZA said:
The output must rotate in the same direction as the input and along the same axis. Select suitable gears.

Consider the layout of gears and number of gears needed to meet this requirement before doing any further calculations .

The type of gears that rotate in the same direction and along the same axis which I can think of are epicylic gears?

More likely a simple layshaft design is expected .

Okay so how to do I go about selecting gears then?

The fact that the output must be "along the same axis" has implications for the dimensions of the gears. For example the distance between the input shaft and the lay shaft must be same as lay shaft to output.

(1) As CWatters says about centre distances .

(2) Overall gear ratio is given by ratio of first pair multiplied by ratio of second pair .

Say both ratios are the same . Therefore (ratio)^2 = 5.7 and ratio = SQRT(5.7) = roughly 2.4

Use this ratio to answer your question .

(3) Full gear calculations optimise the load carrying capability of each gear and this may lead to different ratios being chosen for more critical applications .

Okay so overall ratio = ##\frac{2000}{350}## = 5.714
To get the same direction of rotation I need an odd number of gears such as 3 or 5.
I will say 3 gears, therefore if all ratios between gear 1&2 and 2&3 are the same ##ratio^2## = 5.714 and ratio=##\sqrt{5.714}##
Ratio = 2.4

So if I select a spur gear with 22 teeth and one with 9 teeth as per the table I get ##\frac{22}{9}## = 2.4

This is what a layshaft gear arrangement looks like :

nb : A countershaft and a layshaft are essentially the same thing though the term layshaft tends to be used in automotive industry and term countershaft more generally .

Last edited:
Likes DevonZA
Devon I think we doing the same course ...MEE231V ?

Hi Sunil

Yes I am really struggling. I contacted the lecturer for help and he told me to think..
How are you coping?

really struggling vonZA said:
Hi Sunil

Yes I am really struggling. I contacted the lecturer for help and he told me to think..
How are you coping?
Im also really struggling man . I made a group on whatsapp do you wna be added we can work together

sunil63 said:
Im also really struggling man . I made a group on whatsapp do you wna be added we can work together
Sent you my number. Studying with UNISA is honestly the worst I have had problems from day 1.
WRT this question I think I'm almost there, I'll post the answer I get once I'm done.

Likes sunil63
Nidum thank you for the video!

How do I calculate the change in rpm between gears? I.E in gear 1 the rpm would be 2000rpm (input) in gear 2 the rpm would be..?

Divide by gear ratios :

First pair : 2000 / 2.4 = 833 rpm

Second pair : 833 / 2.4 = 347 rpm

Likes DevonZA and sunil63
You figure this one out? Also doing unisa... Efff!

DevonZA said:
So if I select a spur gear with 22 teeth and one with 9 teeth

I'm really no expert on gears but 9 teeth sounds low. I recall reading something once about gear wear on gears with a low tooth count? Do your textbooks or tables say anything about wear (contact angles?) on gears with a low tooth count?

1. What factors should be considered when selecting gears for a gearbox?

When selecting gears for a gearbox, it is important to consider factors such as the desired gear ratio, torque requirements, speed requirements, load capacity, and noise level. Other factors to consider include the type of gear (spur, helical, bevel, etc.), material of the gear, and compatibility with other gears in the system.

2. How do I determine the gear ratio for a gearbox?

The gear ratio is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. For example, if the driven gear has 20 teeth and the driving gear has 10 teeth, the gear ratio would be 2:1.

3. Can I mix and match different types of gears in a gearbox?

In general, it is not recommended to mix different types of gears in a gearbox. This is because different types of gears have different load capacities and meshing characteristics, which can lead to premature wear and failure of the gears. It is best to use gears of the same type and size in a gearbox.

4. How can I ensure the gears in my gearbox will have a long lifespan?

To ensure the gears in your gearbox have a long lifespan, it is important to properly lubricate them and maintain the gearbox regularly. It is also important to select gears that are made of durable materials, properly sized for the load and speed requirements, and have a suitable gear ratio. Avoid overloading the gears and operating the gearbox at high speeds for extended periods of time.

5. Are there any alternative methods for selecting gears for a gearbox?

Yes, there are computer programs and online calculators that can assist with gear selection for a gearbox. These tools take into account various factors such as gear ratio, torque, speed, and load requirements to recommend suitable gears for a specific application. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of gear selection principles to ensure the accuracy and reliability of these tools.