So the question is: What does it really mean to give 100%?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: So, in summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of giving more than 100% effort and how it can be achieved through different factors. The mathematical formula presented suggests that hard work and knowledge can only get you close to 100%, while attitude and bullsh*t and a** kissing can put you over the top. However, the validity of this theory is questioned and sources are requested.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This is a strictly a mathematical viewpoint...it goes like this:

What Makes 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%? Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%? We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%. How about achieving 103%? What makes up 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer these questions:

If:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

is represented as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-*-*-T
2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far a** kissing will take you.

A-*-*-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with
mathematical certainty, that While Hard work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you there, it's the Bullsh*t and A** Kissing that will put you over the top. Kiss

Physics news on Phys.org
Uhm... But you defined the letters as integers, not as percentages.

I'm sorry, but we don't allow fringe theories. Please cite your sources or I'll have to "citizen's moderate" you and delete the thread.

Would this work in Mandarin?

I'm surprised my uncle in Ohio hasn't emailed this to me yet.

waht said:

Not very well, no. It'd be like applying numbers to words. I suppose it'd be okay in either of the Japanese kana systems, though.

Tobias Funke said:
I'm sorry, but we don't allow fringe theories. Please cite your sources or I'll have to "citizen's moderate" you and delete the thread.

I believe this is one of Einstein's postulates for his Grand Unified Theory of Life. Hardly "fringe" research.

"People that give 110% are slackers. 130% is the new 110%."
-DaveC426913 - a long time ago

I'm with the op 103%.

Pengwuino said:
I believe this is one of Einstein's postulates for his Grand Unified Theory of Life. Hardly "fringe" research.

I don't know. It seems to go against all the sports guys who combine effort, hustle, team play and taking it one game at a time to give their 110% every night. And most of them are college grads, so they're pretty up there on the IQ scale.

waht said:

Maybe pin yin.

Tobias Funke said:
I don't know. It seems to go against all the sports guys who combine effort, hustle, team play and taking it one game at a time to give their 110% every night. And most of them are college grads, so they're pretty up there on the IQ scale.

The college grads are the ones that didn't work hard enough to get drafted early.

Chi Meson said:
I'm surprised my uncle in Ohio hasn't emailed this to me yet.

Oh so that's who that guy in Ohio was who e-mailed that to me.

Look, 100% of one person versus 100% of another can be quite different with regard to outcome. That, in itself, should give you a clue as to what 100% means in this scenario.
That said, 110%(or such) is an inference to those not reaching their full potential of 100%

In other words, "give it 110%" usually infers that you have only applied 90% effort.

In the world of sports, only Mike Tyson holds the honor of having had more than 100% to give, before spitting it out.

pallidin said:
Look, 100% of one person versus 100% of another can be quite different with regard to outcome. That, in itself, should give you a clue as to what 100% means in this scenario.
That said, 110%(or such) is an inference to those not reaching their full potential of 100%

In other words, "give it 110%" usually infers that you have only applied 90% effort.

No, in that case, giving a relative effort of 110% would be equal to giving 99%, not 100%.

What does it mean to give more than 100%?

Giving more than 100% means giving more effort, energy, or resources than what is expected or required. It is a way of going above and beyond in order to achieve a goal or succeed in a task.

Is it possible to give more than 100%?

No, it is not possible to physically or mathematically give more than 100%. However, the phrase "giving more than 100%" is often used as a motivational phrase to encourage individuals to put in extra effort and exceed expectations.

How can one give more than 100%?

One can give more than 100% by putting in extra time, effort, or resources towards a task or goal. This can include sacrificing personal time, taking on additional responsibilities, or finding creative solutions to challenges.

Why is giving more than 100% important?

Giving more than 100% can lead to greater success and achievement. It shows determination, dedication, and a strong work ethic. It can also inspire others to do the same and create a positive impact on a team or organization.

What are the benefits of giving more than 100%?

The benefits of giving more than 100% can include personal satisfaction, increased productivity, and improved opportunities for growth and advancement. It can also lead to a sense of pride and accomplishment in knowing that one has given their best effort.