1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-learning Modern and Quantum Physics

1. Feb 27, 2016 #1
    Hello,

What would be the best online resources for learning modern physics and quantum physics (at the undergraduate level). Also, what is the highest math that would be necessary? I think the only one I am lacking is PDE but I can self study that one as well if necessary. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

MIT open courseware.
    There is no "highest level of math" - in many way, the better your maths the better for you.
    iirc the courses have details of what they expect ... you need senior secondary level probability and entry college algebra.

4. Feb 28, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all, what is your goal in doing this "self-learning"? Are you aiming to get the same level of knowledge as a typical undergraduate major in physics? Or are you simply trying to learn this so that you can understand certain things only?

The goal will dictate strongly what you need to do. However, if you aim for the former, there is no way for you to do your own evaluation that you have such skill and knowledge. A typical undergraduate physics major has been put through a wringer of evaluations to ensure that he/she has a certain level of knowledge. A "self-studier" hasn't.

Zz.

5. Feb 28, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is best not to self assess ... however, if you can get hold of past exam papers for the courses you can get a good idea of how you are doing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook