Self-learning Modern and Quantum Physics

In summary, the best online resources for learning modern and quantum physics at the undergraduate level are MIT open courseware. The highest level of math required varies depending on your goal, but senior secondary level probability and entry college algebra are generally necessary. It is important to note that self-studiers may not have the same level of knowledge and skills as an undergraduate physics major, who has gone through rigorous evaluations. It is recommended to obtain past exam papers to assess your understanding.
kb1010
Hello,

What would be the best online resources for learning modern physics and quantum physics (at the undergraduate level). Also, what is the highest math that would be necessary? I think the only one I am lacking is PDE but I can self study that one as well if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
MIT open courseware.
There is no "highest level of math" - in many way, the better your maths the better for you.
iirc the courses have details of what they expect ... you need senior secondary level probability and entry college algebra.

kb1010 said:
Hello,

What would be the best online resources for learning modern physics and quantum physics (at the undergraduate level). Also, what is the highest math that would be necessary? I think the only one I am lacking is PDE but I can self study that one as well if necessary. Thanks in advance.

First of all, what is your goal in doing this "self-learning"? Are you aiming to get the same level of knowledge as a typical undergraduate major in physics? Or are you simply trying to learn this so that you can understand certain things only?

The goal will dictate strongly what you need to do. However, if you aim for the former, there is no way for you to do your own evaluation that you have such skill and knowledge. A typical undergraduate physics major has been put through a wringer of evaluations to ensure that he/she has a certain level of knowledge. A "self-studier" hasn't.

Zz.

It is best not to self assess ... however, if you can get hold of past exam papers for the courses you can get a good idea of how you are doing.

1. What is self-learning modern and quantum physics?

Self-learning modern and quantum physics refers to the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It involves understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other, as well as the theories and models used to explain these phenomena.

2. Why is self-learning modern and quantum physics important?

Self-learning modern and quantum physics is important because it helps us to understand the fundamental nature of the universe and the building blocks of matter. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics, computing, and medicine.

3. What are some key concepts in self-learning modern and quantum physics?

Some key concepts in self-learning modern and quantum physics include wave-particle duality, quantum superposition, entanglement, and the uncertainty principle. These concepts are essential to understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. How is self-learning modern and quantum physics different from classical physics?

Self-learning modern and quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, whereas classical physics deals with the behavior of larger objects. Additionally, classical physics relies on deterministic laws, while quantum physics introduces probability and uncertainty into its principles.

5. What are some real-world applications of self-learning modern and quantum physics?

Self-learning modern and quantum physics has many real-world applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in fields like cryptography, quantum computing, and nanotechnology.