Self Study for Physics for a mechanical engineer

In summary, the individual is a mechanical engineer with 2 1/2 years of experience and a Bachelor's degree in Science (Mechanical Engineering). They have a strong interest in physics, particularly in Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics, and are self-studying these subjects in their free time. They are seeking advice and help from those with a major in Physics and are looking for intermediate books on Electromagnetism and Quantum Mechanics with a solution manual. They have previously taken courses in Calculus, Engineering Mathematics, Numerical Analysis, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Strength of Material, Fluid Mechanics, and General Physics, but are still struggling with understanding some concepts. They mention using the books "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems, Marion
cxcxcx0505
I am a mechanical engineer with 2 1/2years working experience. I have a Bachelor degree in Science (Mechanical Engineering). Physics is one of my favorite subject when I was in high school. Even though I already graduated from University, during my free time, I will self study Physics. I have an ambition, that is I want to get at least a Master in Physics in future. Here, I would like to seek help and advice from those who are majored in Physics to guide me in my self study.

Some of the related subjects that I took in University are as below:
Calculus 1
Engineering Mathematics 1
Engineering Mathematics 2
Numerical Analysis
Dynamics
Thermodynamics
Strength of Material
Fluid Mechanics 1
Fluid Mechanics 2
General Physics 1

I know that Classical Mechanics , Electromagnetism and Quantum Mechanics are the three fundamental subjects in Physics. I am currently self-study Classical Mechanics using the book "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems, Marion, Thornton ". My knowledge of electromagnetism is only until high school level. For quantum mechanics, I am using the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition, David J.Griffiths" but I found it too difficult. I stuck in the chapter 2 where there are two methods to solve the Simple Harmonic Motion using Schrodinger equation.

So, here, I would like to ask for expertise on how to self-study in Physics and also some intermediate books for Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics and so on (preferably with solution manual) . Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is engineering mathematics? I don't think I ever heard of that before. You should also work through the rest of the calculus series unless that was the engineering math course. Linear algebra, differentials ect.

Physics volume 2 H&R&Krane covers basic electro. I just got the book the other day and like it better than the walker version. We used H&R&Walker for my intro physics courses. I thought as a MechE though you would have already covered something similar though?

Engineering Mathematics cover ODE, PDE, Laplace Transform, Fourier Series, Fourier Transform , Vector Calculus and so on.

Yes, actually last time I took General Physics 2 before, using the book "fundamental of physics, Halliday, Resnick, ‎Walker" . But, I can say that I did not actually fully master & understand it. That's why I say that my level of Electromagnetism is only until high school level. Sometimes, I will refer back to the book when necessary.

1. What is the importance of self-study in learning physics for a mechanical engineer?

Self-study is crucial in learning physics for a mechanical engineer because it allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field of engineering. Additionally, self-study allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on their specific areas of weakness.

2. How can a mechanical engineer effectively self-study physics?

There are several ways for a mechanical engineer to effectively self-study physics. Some suggestions include setting a schedule and sticking to it, using various resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems, and seeking help from a tutor or study group when needed. It is also essential to take breaks and actively engage with the material rather than passively reading or watching.

3. What topics in physics should a mechanical engineer focus on while self-studying?

A mechanical engineer should focus on the core principles of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism. It is also essential to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as calculus, as it is widely used in solving physics problems. Additionally, topics related to materials and their properties, such as mechanics of materials, may also be relevant for a mechanical engineer.

4. Is self-study sufficient for a mechanical engineer to excel in physics?

Self-study can be a valuable tool in learning physics, but it may not be sufficient on its own. It is essential to supplement self-study with practical applications of the concepts, such as through experiments or projects. Seeking guidance from a professor or mentor can also help clarify any doubts and provide additional resources for learning.

5. How can self-study for physics benefit a mechanical engineer in their career?

Self-study for physics can benefit a mechanical engineer in their career in various ways. It can improve problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in the engineering field. It can also provide a strong foundation for understanding complex mechanical systems and their design. Additionally, self-studying physics can help in staying updated with advancements in the field and adapting to new technologies and techniques.