1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Study for Physics for a mechanical engineer

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    I am a mechanical engineer with 2 1/2years working experience. I have a Bachelor degree in Science (Mechanical Engineering). Physics is one of my favorite subject when I was in high school. Even though I already graduated from University, during my free time, I will self study Physics. I have an ambition, that is I want to get at least a Master in Physics in future. Here, I would like to seek help and advice from those who are majored in Physics to guide me in my self study.

Some of the related subjects that I took in University are as below:
    Calculus 1
    Engineering Mathematics 1
    Engineering Mathematics 2
    Numerical Analysis
    Dynamics
    Thermodynamics
    Strength of Material
    Fluid Mechanics 1
    Fluid Mechanics 2
    General Physics 1

I know that Classical Mechanics , Electromagnetism and Quantum Mechanics are the three fundamental subjects in Physics. I am currently self-study Classical Mechanics using the book "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems, Marion, Thornton ". My knowledge of electromagnetism is only until high school level. For quantum mechanics, I am using the book "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics 2nd edition, David J.Griffiths" but I found it too difficult. I stuck in the chapter 2 where there are two methods to solve the Simple Harmonic Motion using Schrodinger equation.

So, here, I would like to ask for expertise on how to self-study in Physics and also some intermediate books for Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics and so on (preferably with solution manual) . Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2013 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What is engineering mathematics??? I don't think I ever heard of that before. You should also work through the rest of the calculus series unless that was the engineering math course. Linear algebra, differentials ect.

Physics volume 2 H&R&Krane covers basic electro. I just got the book the other day and like it better than the walker version. We used H&R&Walker for my intro physics courses. I thought as a MechE though you would have already covered something similar though?

4. Nov 12, 2013 #3
    Engineering Mathematics cover ODE, PDE, Laplace Transform, Fourier Series, Fourier Transform , Vector Calculus and so on.

Yes, actually last time I took General Physics 2 before, using the book "fundamental of physics, Halliday, Resnick, ‎Walker" . But, I can say that I did not actually fully master & understand it. That's why I say that my level of Electromagnetism is only until high school level. Sometimes, I will refer back to the book when necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook