Self-Study Quantum Mechanics: Can I Do It w/ Poor Math Skills?

In summary: While it's not a requirement, most books that are meant to be used as self-study guides come with a solution manual. This can be found online or in the book itself.
entropy1
Whole my life I have been interested in Quantum Physics. I have a bachelor degree in IT. I did not finish my studies.

I have always been quite sloppy in studying in school. As a result, my mathematics skills are terrible.

I often get pointed out on this forum that I better start with the basics of QM. I got the advice to read a book of D.J. Griffiths: "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics".

My question: given my very poor math skills, does it make sense to self-study quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Books at that level assume a fluent understanding of calculus, and some familiarity with differential equations and linear algebra. If you have that much, you should be OK. If you don't, you will have difficulties.

I have had that all in my studies, but have thrown the syllabuses way. Does it make sense to self-study all those things (which I should be able to catch up again fairly quickly) without a tutor?

Last edited:
Yes, that would make most sense.

Okay. So does anyone have good advice as to what books I better start with?

Thanks! Any good book on linear algebra??

Since your intention here is not to study math, but rather study enough to understand and use it in your self-study QM effort, why not use a mathematical physics text? I've recommended Mary Boas's text many times, which had been written so that you may use it as a self-study book with only a sophomore level mathematics background.

Do a search on here for Mary Boas "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences".

Zz.

Likes entropy1
I'm planning on buying the book of Mary Boas. I want to practice the problems too. But is there a book with the answers to the problems? (So that I can check if I solved them correctly)

Please note that there is a Students Solution Manual to Mary Boas's book. She included answers and some even full worked out problems that came from the book.

Zz.

MATHEMATICAL METHODS FOR PHYSICISTS A Comprehensive Guide SEVENTH EDITION George B. Arfken, Hans J. Weber, Frank E. Harris

Arfken is a bit more advanced than Boas. While Boas is meant for students who had just completed all of their basic calculus courses, Arfken requires that you have a bit more knowledge of vector calculus etc. and as far as self study goes, Boas does a lot more verbal explanation than Arfken, especially in her solution manual.

I've used both extensively, so I'm intimately aware of both texts.

Zz.

I'm not sure if either of them are available in my country and I don't have a credit card :frown:

Related to Self-Study Quantum Mechanics: Can I Do It w/ Poor Math Skills?

1. Can I learn Quantum Mechanics without having advanced math skills?

While having a strong foundation in math can certainly make learning Quantum Mechanics easier, it is not a requirement. Many introductory Quantum Mechanics courses do not require advanced math skills and focus more on the conceptual understanding of the subject. However, as you progress to more advanced topics, a strong understanding of math will become increasingly important.

2. How much math do I need to know before starting to study Quantum Mechanics?

It is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus before starting to study Quantum Mechanics. A familiarity with linear algebra and differential equations will also be beneficial. However, many introductory courses will cover the necessary math concepts as they are needed in the context of Quantum Mechanics.

3. Is self-studying Quantum Mechanics without a formal education possible?

Yes, it is possible to self-study Quantum Mechanics without a formal education. However, it may require more dedication and self-motivation as you will not have a structured course or instructor to guide you. It is important to have access to reliable resources, such as textbooks and online lectures, to supplement your learning.

4. Can I become a professional physicist without being a math expert?

While having a strong mathematical background is essential for a career in physics, it is not the only factor that determines success. Being able to think critically and creatively, as well as having a passion for the subject, are equally important. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to become a successful physicist even without being a math expert.

5. How can I improve my math skills for studying Quantum Mechanics?

There are many resources available to improve your math skills for studying Quantum Mechanics. Online courses, textbooks, and practice problems can help you strengthen your understanding of key math concepts. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and practice with math problems.