Self-teaching for a specific application

In summary, the person is a computer science undergrad and is asking if it is possible to teach oneself the physics, aeronautical, and electrical engineering knowledge required to design and build a vertical takeoff and landing electric jet. They have a lot of motivation and resources but are wondering if it can be done alone or if formal classes in aerospace engineering would be more beneficial. They are also seeking advice and resources to help them get started.
Buggy
I am a computer science undergrad (almost done, so I can't switch to engineering sadly) and I was wondering if someone from the physics/engineering community could advise me on this.

I know it sounds crazy but my question is: Is it possible/reasonable to teach oneself the physics, aeronautical, and electrical engineering knowledge required to draft a technical report for, and eventually prototype and build, a vertical takeoff and landing electric jet (along with all components)?

I want to make this my life's mission. I have 16 hours a day to study textbooks, a large amount of motivation, some money I've saved that will last me a few years (putting aside that the project itself will require massive external funding), no family and nothing to lose.

I'd love to hear your answers as people who have already acquired this type of knowledge.

Can it be done? And if so, could you kindly point me to some resources to start me off?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I don't think there is one person alive right now who could design a modern airplane from scratch all by himself. Designing airplanes is done is big teams in which each person has his own speciality.

If this is your "life's mission" wouldn't it just make more sense to take some formal classes in aerospace engineering? That might expose you to university professors with expertise in the area and other like-minded people who could help you. If one doesn't already exist, you could start up a project-based club, and this would allow you to use university resources (computer labs, software, lab space etc.) to work on all the different sub-projects.

1. What is self-teaching for a specific application?

Self-teaching for a specific application refers to the process of learning how to use a particular software or tool without formal instruction or guidance. It involves using resources such as tutorials, online forums, and trial and error to gain knowledge and proficiency in a specific application.

2. Is self-teaching for a specific application effective?

Self-teaching can be effective for some individuals, as it allows for personalized learning and the ability to focus on specific areas of the application that are most relevant to the individual's needs. However, it may not be as comprehensive as formal instruction and may require more time and effort.

3. What are the benefits of self-teaching for a specific application?

Self-teaching can be cost-effective, as it does not require enrolling in a course or hiring a tutor. It also allows for flexibility in learning at one's own pace and focusing on specific areas of the application. Moreover, it can improve problem-solving skills and self-motivation.

4. What are some tips for effective self-teaching for a specific application?

Some tips for effective self-teaching include setting clear goals, breaking down the learning process into smaller tasks, utilizing various resources such as tutorials and online forums, and practicing regularly. It is also helpful to stay organized and track progress to monitor improvement.

5. Are there any limitations to self-teaching for a specific application?

Self-teaching may not be suitable for everyone, as some individuals may need more structure and guidance. It also requires a certain level of motivation and discipline to stay committed to the learning process. Additionally, it may not provide a comprehensive understanding of the application compared to formal instruction.