1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Self-teaching for a specific application

Tags:
  1. Sep 28, 2016 #1
    I am a computer science undergrad (almost done, so I can't switch to engineering sadly) and I was wondering if someone from the physics/engineering community could advise me on this.

I know it sounds crazy but my question is: Is it possible/reasonable to teach oneself the physics, aeronautical, and electrical engineering knowledge required to draft a technical report for, and eventually prototype and build, a vertical takeoff and landing electric jet (along with all components)?

I want to make this my life's mission. I have 16 hours a day to study textbooks, a large amount of motivation, some money I've saved that will last me a few years (putting aside that the project itself will require massive external funding), no family and nothing to lose.

I'd love to hear your answers as people who have already acquired this type of knowledge.

Can it be done? And if so, could you kindly point me to some resources to start me off?

Many thanks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is one person alive right now who could design a modern airplane from scratch all by himself. Designing airplanes is done is big teams in which each person has his own speciality.

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If this is your "life's mission" wouldn't it just make more sense to take some formal classes in aerospace engineering? That might expose you to university professors with expertise in the area and other like-minded people who could help you. If one doesn't already exist, you could start up a project-based club, and this would allow you to use university resources (computer labs, software, lab space etc.) to work on all the different sub-projects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted