Self-teaching theoretical physics

In summary, the person is interested in learning physics and potentially contributing something small to the field. They have a background in computer science and some knowledge of mathematics but not formal proof-based mathematics. They are seeking recommendations for an approach to learning physics and an estimate of how long it will take. They are directed to read a featured thread and visit a website for guidance on becoming a theoretical physicist.
venono
I'm interested to get people's opinions on how plausible this is. My goal is to learn physics to the point that I can read and understand the latest works and potentially even contribute something small.

My background: I have a bachelors and masters in computer science from a top-3 school and have a fairly good grasp and intuition for linear algebra, statistics, some topology and geometry (I did do a fair bit of artificial intelligence and computer graphics)... but not very good at formal proof based mathematics.

What approach would you recommend and how long do you think it will take?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the best way to start self-teaching theoretical physics?

The best way to start self-teaching theoretical physics is to first gain a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. These concepts are essential for understanding the complex equations and theories in physics. Additionally, it is helpful to read introductory books on theoretical physics to familiarize yourself with the key concepts and principles.

2. How can I stay motivated while self-teaching theoretical physics?

One way to stay motivated while self-teaching theoretical physics is to set specific goals and deadlines for yourself. This will help keep you focused and on track. You can also join online communities or find a study partner to discuss concepts and theories with, which can provide motivation and accountability.

3. Are there any online resources or courses available for self-teaching theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available for self-teaching theoretical physics. Some popular options include online lectures from top universities, interactive simulations, and online textbooks. It is important to do research and choose reputable sources for your self-study.

4. How long does it typically take to self-teach theoretical physics?

The time it takes to self-teach theoretical physics varies depending on the individual's background knowledge and dedication to studying. It can take anywhere from a few months to a few years to gain a solid understanding of the subject. It is important to be patient and consistent in your studies.

5. How can I apply my self-taught knowledge of theoretical physics in practical settings?

There are many practical applications of theoretical physics, such as in fields like engineering, astronomy, and quantum computing. To apply your self-taught knowledge, you can look for internships or research opportunities in these fields, or even consider pursuing a higher education degree in physics.