Self-Testing on a PC running Win 10

In summary: Application has failed to start because of an unresolved system error. Check the application's event log for more information. "In summary, there is a problem with the SQL Server application, and it is related to power problems.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am having what seems to be power-related problems on my Win10 PC. I have looked into Device Manager, I ran DxDiag, checked into Msinfo32 and diagnostics say everything is fine. Problem is light on f12 key turns off and computer powers off despite receiving power ( you can see the orange light in the power connector). Sorry, no good hits during a search.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I can't be sure but it seems to me that the PSU is malfunctioning. Maybe you need to replace the PSU (and hopefully not the motherboard because it short circuits or something like that).

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
I have looked into Device Manager, I ran DxDiag, checked into Msinfo32 and diagnostics say everything is fine. Problem is light on f12 key turns off and computer powers off despite receiving power ( you can see the orange light in the power connector). Sorry, no good hits during a search.
I would start with Event Viewer to see if the computer recorded any events or errors when it shut down.
In the lower left corner in the search box, type "eventvwr" (without quotes). It should find this application. When it opens, look under Windows Events, and then under System. This might give you more information. Device Manager just tells you the state of the various devices when your run it, but Event Viewer tells you what happened up to this point.

Is this an older computer that you upgraded to Win10? Laptop? Desktop? Brand? If it's a newer computer, it's less likely that the power supply is going bad, but that still could be the cause of the problem. I've had my HP desktop since 2013, and have never had any problems with it.

Likes WWGD
Mark44 said:
I would start with Event Viewer to see if the computer recorded any events or errors when it shut down.
In the lower left corner in the search box, type "eventvwr" (without quotes). It should find this application. When it opens, look under Windows Events, and then under System. This might give you more information. Device Manager just tells you the state of the various devices when your run it, but Event Viewer tells you what happened up to this point.

Is this an older computer that you upgraded to Win10? Laptop? Desktop? Brand? If it's a newer computer, it's less likely that the power supply is going bad, but that still could be the cause of the problem. I've had my HP desktop since 2013, and have never had any problems with it.

Thanks, I did try the event viewer, but could not make enough sense of the events; I will copy and paste them here if OK. It is an old HP15 laptop , upgraded to Win10 . I bought it used so I don't know more details. Anyway of knowing the previous OS, makeup, etc., other than by going to System?

WWGD said:
Thanks, I did try the event viewer, but could not make enough sense of the events; I will copy and paste them here if OK.
Just focus on the errors - they show up with a red icon, and particularly any that are at or just before the last time your computer shut down.

WWGD said:
It is an old HP15 laptop , upgraded to Win10 . I bought it used so I don't know more details. Anyway of knowing the previous OS, makeup, etc., other than by going to System?
If the previous owner did a clean install, the previous OS was wiped. Besides, knowing the previous OS doesn't help you any. Any idea how old the computer is? Or at least how long you have owned it? Laptops are a lot harder to work on, since everything is jammed into a small space. Also, I think they have more problems with heat dissipation for the same reason. In any computer, it's a good idea to clean out any dust and furballs that accumulate inside, as these can block the airflow, shortening the life of the computer.

Likes davenn and WWGD
Mark44 said:
Just focus on the errors - they show up with a red icon, and particularly any that are at or just before the last time your computer shut down.

I understand, but the errors are not written in plain English. I researched the error name:" Irql Not less than or equal " . But never got anything clear from my (somewhat -limited) research.

See if there are any others. There probably won't be just one error.

Ok, there is a problem with my SQL Server (Developer, 2017. Not for production; the free " baby" level version) It "correlates" with the other problem in that the event has appeared shortly within times when shut downs have happened. Some how SQL Server popped up into my Startup Menu; I don't remember putting it there myelf. . :

Event 17890: ( In Applications Log )
" A significant part of sql server process memory has been paged out. This may result in a performance degradation. Duration: 329 seconds. Working set (KB): 54544, committed (KB): 157084, memory utilization: 34%%."

From my research, a memory pointer is trying to access protected memory or a driver is calling a function it is not allowed to call.

Where do I take it from here?

In System Logs: ( Thought I would keep it separate from the previous; enough to work on with it )

Event ID 10016
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-10016-is-logged-in-windows-10-windows-server

Can you help me with these two to start with and after we're done we can consider any possible additional ones? TIA.

I don't think either of these has anything to do with the problem you're seeing. What you describe seems llike more of a hardware problem that may or may not get logged in Event Viewer, not issues about permissions.

Mark44 said:
I don't think either of these has anything to do with the problem you're seeing. What you describe seems llike more of a hardware problem that may or may not get logged in Event Viewer, not issues about permissions.
The ones I am describing come from the systems and applications logs respectively.

If there is an error logged, I don't think it would be in the applications logs, but might be something in the System logs. What I said earlier is that this is where I would look first, but if that doesn't show anything, my next step would be to see if the power supply is acting up, producing an electrical fault. You might need to take the computer to a shop that can test it. The only other thing I can recommend is to open the case, and see if there are any loose connections.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
The ones I am describing come from the systems and applications logs respectively.
Yes, but those are the kinds of errors that might make the software crash, not the hardware to shut down.

We suspect that in the system logs it might say something about things getting too hot. over-temperature.

Likes davenn and WWGD
Have you changed anything recently, like adding a graphics card or extra hard drive?

Likes WWGD
CWatters said:
Have you changed anything recently, like adding a graphics card or extra hard drive?
Yes...a new battery. No joke; sorry I forgot to include ths in my OP.

WWGD said:
Yes...a new battery. No joke; sorry I forgot to include ths in my OP.
Did the problems show up after you changed the battery or were they present before the change? If they showed up after the battery change, I'd be suspicious that the change is related to the problem.

Mark44 said:
Did the problems show up after you changed the battery or were they present before the change? If they showed up after the battery change, I'd be suspicious that the change is related to the problem.
The problems were present before, disappeared for a relatvely-short while after the replacement and eventually returned .

Does the BIOS on your computer monitor the CPU temperature? If so, restart your computer and go into the BIOS (basic I/O system) before it has a chance to start Windows. Run the computer awhile and see if the temp starts to go up.

Getting to the BIOS is different on different computers -- for some, you hit ESC immediately after you start to see something on the screen. For others, it might be F8 or some other key. You might need to do some research to see what's the right way to get into the BIOS.

Based on the information so far, the two most plausible explanations to me are an overheating CPU or a faulty power supply.

Likes WWGD
If you suspect a power problem
scan this old post
three years ago i had intermittent power problems and described my repair here
symptom was i'd find battery depleted,
eventually i had to keep a finger on the power plug to make it charge, then even that didn't work anymore.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/today-i-learned.783257/page-74#post-5516933

Still using the same old laptop. It's over seven years old now,
and the homemade retainer cut from a cottage cheese lid is still holding.

Likes WWGD
upload_2019-2-28_15-31-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-28_15-31-25.png
    upload_2019-2-28_15-31-25.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 517
Above is the diagnostic on power that seemed relevant to my situation.

WWGD said:
Above is the diagnostic on power that seemed relevant to my situation.
No, I don't think so. These are the settings for how Windows shuts down or starts up. I doubt very much that anything in the OS is going to tell you very much. Again, see if your BIOS tells you the CPU temperature, and if so, see if it's overheating. Also, your power supply might have an intermittent fault, which you might need to have a technician check out, and replace if it's bad.

Likes WWGD
Mark44 said:
No, I don't think so. These are the settings for how Windows shuts down or starts up. I doubt very much that anything in the OS is going to tell you very much. Again, see if your BIOS tells you the CPU temperature, and if so, see if it's overheating. Also, your power supply might have an intermittent fault, which you might need to have a technician check out, and replace if it's bad.
Yes, you are ( used to be) able view the BIOS by pressing F8 upon starting. Problem is by design, the bootup process has been sped up to the point that when you're about to start pressing F8, computer has already booted up. But let me see what I can find. Thanks for your patience.

intermittents are hideous to track down. Especially since there's so much error recovery built in these days.sql look like it involves intense disk traffic
wikipedia said:
Buffer management[edit]
SQL Server buffers pages in RAM to minimize disk I/O. Any 8 KB page can be buffered in-memory, and the set of all pages currently buffered is called the buffer cache. The amount of memory available to SQL Server decides how many pages will be cached in memory. The buffer cache is managed by the Buffer Manager. Either reading from or writing to any page copies it to the buffer cache. Subsequent reads or writes are redirected to the in-memory copy, rather than the on-disc version. The page is updated on the disc by the Buffer Manager only if the in-memory cache has not been referenced for some time. While writing pages back to disc, asynchronous I/O is used whereby the I/O operation is done in a background thread so that other operations do not have to wait for the I/O operation to complete. Each page is written along with its checksum when it is written. When reading the page back, its checksum is computed again and matched with the stored version to ensure the page has not been damaged or tampered with in the meantime.[23]

is there a hardware disk diagnostic that doesn't erase the disk ?
Reason i ask is
back when slide rules roamed the Earth and i was a young man
our plant computer suffered random crashes about once a month.
A good clue was one day it printed out a report that was months old
that shouted to us "Disk Error" because printer output got spooled to disk until printer caught up.

Sure enough - that Flintstones moving head disk had four different seek speeds depending on how many tracks it had to traverse to reach the desired one.
Disk exerciser program found it failed every time the head reached its highest speed
with a 'scope we found that an op-amp in the track counter circuit had lost drive capability,
it didn't have enough slew rate to accurately report the tracks going by
so sometimes the head stopped on the wrong track...
causing a "Load & Execute Data" event

Anyhow a forty cent opamp fixed that
but what a lesson i learned(see my signature).

Where I'm headed with this is
if you can run a hardware check on your disk , i'd suggest it

my boring anecdote above is from when this was a state of the art terminal
upload_2019-2-28_19-34-9.png

and that disk drive cost several weeks' wages

nowadays hardware is incredibly cheap
my local computer shop charged me only thirty bucks to move all my files to a brand new drive and install it.

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-28_19-34-9.png
    upload_2019-2-28_19-34-9.png
    28 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:
Likes Richard Crane and WWGD
I checked the BIOS and fan cooling is enabled. What else can I check out for? I want to avoid lengthening the thread to much. Can anyone let me know if there is anything else specifically in the BIOS to look out for?

WWGD said:
I checked the BIOS and fan cooling is enabled. What else can I check out for? I want to avoid lengthening the thread to much. Can anyone let me know if there is anything else specifically in the BIOS to look out for?
I've asked twice before whether your BIOS tells you the CPU temperature, not whether fan cooling was enabled. Yes? No?

If the BIOS gives you the CPU temp, run the computer for a while, and see if the CPU gets hot. You might need to do some research on the processor and see what is an acceptable max. temperature.

Don't worry about lengthening the thread, but do pay attention to what people are suggesting, such as you or somebody checking out the power supply.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Tom.G
Thank you all and sorry for delay in following up. I checked out the BIOS and the feature " Fan Always On" was enabled. I have read, heard that motherboards from HP (my PC brand) do not age well. I bought it on 2015, so that may explain it. I may just store everything on a flash drive and get a new one.

EDIT: Here is (part of the ) output of the self-repair process; the srttrail.txt :

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\WINDOWS
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 250 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 3594 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 78 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 390 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 1141 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 62 ms

Root cause found:
Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x57
Time taken = 7406 ms

Last edited:
I have a few more output files if these can be helpful:
1)bootfailure.txt
2)bootstat.dat ( what do you open a .dat with? Dis or dat ? ;).
3)Diagnosticlayout.txt
4)bcdinfo.txt
5)Srttrail.txt
Please let me know

WWGD said:
Notepad or any other text editor...

Mark44 said:
Notepad or any other text editor...
Came out pretty jumbled with notepad : @K›ç3~èŠÅë”Kab/

Likes jim hardy
WWGD said:
Do you own a Mac, or do you use Linux?

Neither . I would like to learn to use Linux but haven't made that plunge.
Still running an old Asusz laptop i bought in 2012 with Windows 7

It's somewhat of a comfortable old jalopy now, like Hans Solo's Millenium Falcon.

old jim

WWGD said:
I have a few more output files if these can be helpful:
1)bootfailure.txt
3)Diagnosticlayout.txt
4)bcdinfo.txt
5)Srttrail.txt
Please let me know
None of these is likely to be helpful if the problem is a bad or intermittent power supply. I think you said earlier that you were going to take it to have somebody look at the computer, and particularly the power supply. If that is the problem, none of the Windows diagnostics test are going to tell you anything useful.
WWGD said:
Came out pretty jumbled with notepad : @K›ç3~èŠÅë”Kab/
It is likely a binary file, not meant to be human readable, but instead to be input data to some other program.
I did a search for "what is bootstat.dat" and this is the first thing that came up:
According to Bleeping Computer, bootstat.dat is a Windows system log file that allows the computer to determine if the last boot was successful or not. Since this file is part of the Windows system itself, it should not be interacted with by normal users and you should simply leave it alone.

WWGD said:
As I understand it, the problem is all the kludges Minisoft uses to be able to be all things to all people.
If you're talking about the fact that the .dat file was unreadable, see the above. It's a fact that Microsoft pulls some lulus from time to time (e.g., Windows Vista and IMO, Windows 8), but Windows didn't scramble that file.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD