1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-D Bounded, Distributed Diffusion of Contaminant

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having some difficulty deriving the equation for a concentration of CO2 as a function of length and time. Ultimately I end up with an equation that includes the summation of two error function terms that appear to have incorrect signs.

Given:

A cylinder of infinite length has a mass input, M0 of 1.0 g CO2 added over a width, L, of 5 cm at t = 0. The cylinder has a diameter of 5 cm. Assume a fluid temperature of 25°C.

Find:

The time to reach a concentration of 2 ppm at x = 100 cm for:

1.) Molecular diffusion in air
    2.) Molecular diffusion in water
    3.) If the fluid was turbulent, how would that affect your answers above? Substitute a value of 1 cm2/s for D as a reflection of uniformly generated (isotropic and homogenous) turbulence in water. How does this time compare to part 2.) above?

Assumptions:
    Symmetry (d/dz = d/dy = 0)
    No flow (u = v = w = 0)
    Conservative tracer ( r = 0)

2. Relevant equations

At x = 0, the mass is evenly distributed between -L/2 and L/2

Governing Equation:

[itex] \frac{\delta c}{\delta t}=D \frac{\delta^{2} c}{\delta t^{2}}[/itex]

Initial conditions:

C = 0 for x < -L/2
    C = 0 for x > +L/2
    C = [itex]C_{0}[/itex] for -L/2 < x < +L/2

Boundary conditions:

C → 0 as x → ±∞

3. The attempt at a solution

Based on a dirac delta function:

[itex] c \left( x, t \right) = \left[ \frac{M^{0}}{A \sqrt{4 \pi D t}} \right] exp \left[ - \frac{x}{4 D t} \right][/itex]

Using superposition:

[itex] dc = \frac{C_{0} A dx_{1}}{A \sqrt{4 \pi D t}} exp \left( - \frac { \left( x - x_{1} \right )^{2} }{4 D t} \right) dt [/itex]

where A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder, x1 is the location of the infinitesimal mass dm1

Integrating the sources (of contaminants) from x1→-L/2 to x1→+L/2:

[itex] c \left( x, t \right) = \int ^{L/2}_{-L/2} \frac{C_{0} }{ \sqrt{4 \pi D t}} exp \left( - \frac { \left( x - x_{1} \right )^{2} }{4 D t} \right) dx_{1} [/itex]

[itex] c \left( x, t \right) = \frac{C_{0}}{\sqrt{\pi} } \left[
    \int ^{L/2}_{-\infty} \frac{1}{ \sqrt{4 D t}} exp \left( - \frac { \left( x - x_{1} \right )^{2} }{4 D t} \right) dx_{1} - \int ^{-L/2}_{-\infty} \frac{1}{ \sqrt{4 D t}} exp \left( - \frac { \left( x - x_{1} \right )^{2} }{4 D t} \right) dx_{1} \right] [/itex]

Via substitution:

where [itex] \eta = \frac{ \left( x - x_{1} \right) }{ \sqrt{4 D t}} [/itex] and [itex] d \eta = - \frac{dx_{1} }{ \sqrt{4 D t} } [/itex]

[itex] c \left( x, t \right) = \frac{C_{0}}{\sqrt{\pi} } \left[
    \int ^{\infty}_{\frac{x-L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}}} - exp \left( - \eta^{2} \right) d \eta - \int ^{\infty}_{\frac{x+L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}}} - exp \left( - \eta^{2} \right) d \eta \right] [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{C_{0}}{ 2 } \left[ - \left( 1 - erf \left( \frac{x-L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}} \right) \right) + \left( 1 - erf \left( \frac{x+L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}} \right) \right) \right] [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{C_{0}}{ 2 } \left[ erf \left( \frac{x-L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}} \right) - erf \left( \frac{x+L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}} \right) \right] [/itex]

From what I have seen, this is not correct though. The two error function terms should be switched such that:

[itex] = \frac{C_{0}}{ 2 } \left[ erf \left( \frac{x+L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}} \right) - erf \left( \frac{x-L/2}{\sqrt{4 D t}} \right) \right] [/itex]

I'm wondering if I switched the signs somewhere or I made a mistake in the integration, perhaps the domain.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2
    The reference result you gave (with the signs switched) is correct. You must have made a mistake somewhere. It is much simpler to do the integration in a little different way than you have done. When you split it into two integrals, take one integral from -L/2 to 0, and the other integral from 0 to +L/2. The error functions with their correct signs will emerge virtually immediately from this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook