Bioreactor washout dilution rate

In summary, we are solving a bioreactor problem involving the production of a product P from a gram negative bacteria following the Monod growth law. We use a mass balance on the cell being produced and assume steady state to find the dilution rate at which washout occurs. In part (a) of the problem, we use a batch reactor with initial cell and substrate concentrations to plot the values of interest as functions of time.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The production of a product P from a particular gram negative bacteria follows the Monod growth law
$$-r_{S} = \frac {\mu_{max}C_{S}C_{C}}{K_{M}+C_{S}}$$
with ##\mu_{max} = 1 \hspace{0.05 in} hr^{-1}##, ##K_{M} = 0.25 \hspace{0.05 in} g/L##, and ##Y_{C/S} = 0.5 \hspace{0.05 in} g/g##

The reaction is now to be carried out in a CSTR with ##C_{S0}## = 20 g/L and ##C_{C0}## = 0 g/L. What is the dilution rate at which washout occurs?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do a mass balance on the cell being produced
$$V \frac {dC_{C}}{dt} = -\nu C_{S} + (r_{g} - r_{d})V $$
Assume the death rate is negligible
$$ \frac {dC_{C}}{dt} = -DC_{S} + r_{g} $$
Assume steady state
$$ DC_{S} = r_{g} $$
Now this is where I run into a problem. I am not sure how how to express ##r_{g}##. I get confused because 3 different variables are used, ##r_{S}##, ##r_{C}##, and ##r_{g}## in these bioreactor problems. I know S is the substrate and C is cells, but what is g? Is g and C the same thing? Anyways, I thought ##r_{g} = -r_{S}##, but it turns out from the solution manual that ##r_{g} = -Y_{C/S}r_{S}##, but I thought that ##r_{C} = -Y_{C/S}r_{S}##.

This is part (c) in the problem, but part (a) states
The reaction is to be carried out in a batch reactor with the initial cell concentration of ##C_{C0}## = 0.1 g/L and substrate concentration of ##C_{S0}## = 20 g/L
##C_{C} = C_{C0} + Y_{C/S}(C_{S0} - C_{S})##
Plot ##-r_{S}##, ##-r_{C}##, ##C_{S}##, and ##C_{C}##, as a function of time.

I know ##r_{C} = -Y_{C/S}r_{S}##, but I don't know the difference between ##r_{g}## and ##r_{C}##. They use different variables in the same problem, and I am uncertain if they mean the same thing or mean something different.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this would be better placed in the Biology, Chemistry & Earth Homework forum. Left to your own devices, a web search for a similar worked example is what you need.

Good luck

Just took the final for this class, so it's moot now! but in this case, ##r_{C}## and ##r_{g}## are the same, because ##r_{C} = r_{g} - r_{d}##, where g is cell generation, and d is cell death. We are assuming cell death is negligible.

1. What is a bioreactor washout dilution rate?

A bioreactor washout dilution rate refers to the rate at which fresh media is introduced into a bioreactor to maintain a consistent volume and prevent accumulation of waste products.

2. Why is bioreactor washout dilution rate important?

Bioreactor washout dilution rate is important because it allows for the removal of waste products and maintains optimal conditions for the growth of cells or microorganisms in the bioreactor. It also helps to prevent the buildup of toxic substances that can inhibit growth.

3. How is bioreactor washout dilution rate calculated?

Bioreactor washout dilution rate is calculated by dividing the volume of fresh media added to the bioreactor by the initial volume of the bioreactor. This gives the dilution factor, which can then be used to determine the dilution rate.

4. What factors can affect bioreactor washout dilution rate?

Several factors can affect bioreactor washout dilution rate, including the type of bioreactor, the type of microorganism or cells being cultured, the concentration of nutrients in the media, and the rate of waste production.

5. How can bioreactor washout dilution rate be optimized for maximum efficiency?

To optimize bioreactor washout dilution rate, it is important to regularly monitor the growth of cells or microorganisms, as well as the concentration of nutrients and waste products in the bioreactor. Adjustments can then be made to the dilution rate to ensure optimal conditions for growth and productivity.