1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bioreactor washout dilution rate

1. Dec 11, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The production of a product P from a particular gram negative bacteria follows the Monod growth law
    $$-r_{S} = \frac {\mu_{max}C_{S}C_{C}}{K_{M}+C_{S}}$$
    with ##\mu_{max} = 1 \hspace{0.05 in} hr^{-1}##, ##K_{M} = 0.25 \hspace{0.05 in} g/L##, and ##Y_{C/S} = 0.5 \hspace{0.05 in} g/g##

The reaction is now to be carried out in a CSTR with ##C_{S0}## = 20 g/L and ##C_{C0}## = 0 g/L. What is the dilution rate at which washout occurs?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do a mass balance on the cell being produced
    $$V \frac {dC_{C}}{dt} = -\nu C_{S} + (r_{g} - r_{d})V $$
    Assume the death rate is negligible
    $$ \frac {dC_{C}}{dt} = -DC_{S} + r_{g} $$
    Assume steady state
    $$ DC_{S} = r_{g} $$
    Now this is where I run into a problem. I am not sure how how to express ##r_{g}##. I get confused because 3 different variables are used, ##r_{S}##, ##r_{C}##, and ##r_{g}## in these bioreactor problems. I know S is the substrate and C is cells, but what is g? Is g and C the same thing? Anyways, I thought ##r_{g} = -r_{S}##, but it turns out from the solution manual that ##r_{g} = -Y_{C/S}r_{S}##, but I thought that ##r_{C} = -Y_{C/S}r_{S}##.

This is part (c) in the problem, but part (a) states
    I know ##r_{C} = -Y_{C/S}r_{S}##, but I don't know the difference between ##r_{g}## and ##r_{C}##. They use different variables in the same problem, and I am uncertain if they mean the same thing or mean something different.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think this would be better placed in the Biology, Chemistry & Earth Homework forum. Left to your own devices, a web search for a similar worked example is what you need.

Good luck

4. Dec 12, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Just took the final for this class, so it's moot now! but in this case, ##r_{C}## and ##r_{g}## are the same, because ##r_{C} = r_{g} - r_{d}##, where g is cell generation, and d is cell death. We are assuming cell death is negligible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted