1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor light-emitting diodes

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1

Hello, i have a revision question that i'm only part-able to answer.
    The question is:
    Explain why an LED operating at a fixed current would be more stable than one operating at a fixed voltage.Consider the effect of the device heating on the IV characteristics.Explain under which condition there would be positive or negative feedback from the from the heating.
    What i can answer:
    If an LED is operating at a fixed voltage, then only small changes in voltage will result in large changes in current.Therefore it's better to fix the current because small changes in current won't cause large changes in voltage.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction for the other parts it will be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Start with the equation for light output versus junction current. Look at any temperature related effects in that equation, and then look at the equation for the current versus junction voltage and the temperature effects there.
  4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    This might require more research, but isn't a diode a current-controlled device?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?