Semiconductors, number density of charge carriers.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
elevenb
Messages
34
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



98wvoy.png


It's the third part which I'm stuck on.

Homework Equations



gif.latex?\frac{N_{1}}{N_{0}}=e^{-\frac{E_{1}-E_{0}}{KT}}.gif

The Attempt at a Solution



I've substituted in all the numbers and, multiplied by the density but I am still not getting the correct answer; where a I going wrong?

I got

6.13*(10^11) m^-3

The answer given is

1.6*(10^12) m^-3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"Third part" means the undoped silicon?
mc94 said:
I've substituted in all the numbers and, multiplied by the density but I am still not getting the correct answer; where a I going wrong?
There is no way to tell if you just show your answer instead of the actual work.
What did you use as room temperature?
 
mfb said:
"Third part" means the undoped silicon?
There is no way to tell if you just show your answer instead of the actual work.
What did you use as room temperature?

I took 298K as room temperature; and yes sorry I meant the part with the undoped silicon.
 
That is the number of electrons. You also have holes as charge carriers.

I get the given answer as rounded result with 300K instead of 298K.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
mfb said:
That is the number of electrons. You also have holes as charge carriers.

I get the given answer as rounded result with 300K instead of 298K.

Ahh the holes! I completely forgot, kicking myself now! Thank you!