Hall effect -- calculate carrier mobility and density

In summary, the metallic film in question has dimensions L=10mm, W=1mm, and t=1##\mu m##. The current is parallel to the long edge with magnitude ##I=0.7A##. The longitudinal voltage remains constant at ##V=1V## and the Hall voltage ##V_H## increases at a rate of ##0.3mV/T##. Using the equation ##V_H = \frac{IB}{tne}##, the charge carrier density ##n## can be determined as ##n = \frac{0.7A}{1.6\times10^{-19} C \times 0.3\times 10^{-3}VT^{-1}}
Kara386

Homework Statement

A metallic film has length L=10mm, width W=1mm and thickness t=1##\mu m##. The current is parallel to the long edge and has magnitude ##I=0.7A##. Longitudinal voltage is ##V=1V## and it doesn't change with magnetic field. The Hall (transverse) voltage ##V_H## increases at ##0.3mV/T##. What is the carrier density and what is the carrier mobility?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd just like to check what I've done. Not sure whether I have to change something else if I want to infinitesimalise variables, but since all variables but the ones I'm changing are constant I think it's ok.
##V_H = \frac{IB}{tne}##
Where ##n## is charge carrier density. Then I think
##\frac{dV_H}{dB} = \frac{I}{ne}##

That's the step I'm not 100% sure about. If it's ok, then
##n = \frac{I}{e\frac{dV_H}{dB}} = \frac{0.7A}{1.6\times10^{-19} C \times 0.3\times 10^{-3}VT^{-1}}##

Is that right? After that I can just get the mobility ##\mu## from this equation:
##V = \frac{L}{W} \frac{I}{en\mu}##

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Kara386 said:

Homework Statement

A metallic film has length L=10mm, width W=1mm and thickness t=1##\mu m##. The current is parallel to the long edge and has magnitude ##I=0.7A##. Longitudinal voltage is ##V=1V## and it doesn't change with magnetic field. The Hall (transverse) voltage ##V_H## increases at ##0.3mV/T##. What is the carrier density and what is the carrier mobility?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'd just like to check what I've done. Not sure whether I have to change something else if I want to infinitesimalise variables, but since all variables but the ones I'm changing are constant I think it's ok.
##V_H = \frac{IB}{tne}##
Where ##n## is charge carrier density. Then I think
##\frac{dV_H}{dB} = \frac{I}{ne}##

You forgot the thickness t.

Likes Kara386
ehild said:
You forgot the thickness t.
I did. Thank you!

1. What is the Hall effect?

The Hall effect is the phenomenon where an electric field is generated perpendicular to the direction of current flow in a conductive material when a magnetic field is applied.

2. How do you calculate carrier mobility?

Carrier mobility is calculated by dividing the drift velocity of the carriers by the applied electric field. It is expressed in units of square meters per volt-second (m^2/Vs).

3. What factors affect carrier mobility?

Carrier mobility is affected by the material's crystal structure, temperature, impurities, and the strength of the applied electric and magnetic fields.

4. How do you calculate carrier density?

Carrier density is calculated by dividing the total current by the product of the charge of the carriers and the drift velocity. It is expressed in units of per cubic meter (m^-3).

5. How is the Hall effect used in scientific research?

The Hall effect is used to study the properties of conductive materials, such as their charge carrier concentration, mobility, and type (electrons or holes). It is also used in the development of electronic devices and sensors, as well as in the field of magneto-electronics.