Senior in Engineering Physics: Job search advice

In summary, a senior in Engineering Physics is looking for a job in Illinois and is seeking suggestions for entry level positions. They have taken physics and programming classes, but are unsure of what type of jobs would be a good fit. It is late in the job cycle, so they are advised to check larger companies for entry level rotational programs and to network with alumni through their career services. Despite hearing that many positions are filled through referrals, it is recommended to still apply and make connections through internships and networking. There are also resources available, such as books and publications, that can provide information on common destinations for graduates in this field.
KrevinL
Hello all,

I'm a senior in Engineering Physics, about to graduate in May with a bachelors, and I'm looking for a job. I'm not sure where to look. What kinds of companies hire people like me (especially companies in Illinois)? The classes I've taken include the basic physics core (mechanics and relativity, E&M, some quantum, classical lab) and some programming classes(mostly learned basics about Java, C++, data structures, and graphics with OpenGL). I'm not sure what jobs need someone like me since I seem to only be able to find jobs for mechanical engineers, civil engineers, and software engineers(I don't think I know enough about computer science to be a software engineer, I mostly just know how to do programming in the languages I mentioned).

So basically, if anyone could give me suggestions about specific types of entry level jobs I might be able to do or what companies(preferably in Illinois) I could apply at, I would appreciate it. So please share your insight/personal experiences.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very late in the cycle to be looking for a job honestly, and in this economy you might not have the best luck restricting yourself to Illinois. I recommend checking larger companies for entry level rotational programs. They mostly don't care what flavor of engineer you are, but they will have filled at least 90% of their slots by this point too. Besides that, make sure you are working with career services and professors to network as much as possible with alumni from your school. See if any of them have any openings for you.

Good luck.

KrevinL said:
I'm not sure what jobs need someone like me since I seem to only be able to find jobs for mechanical engineers, civil engineers

i wish i could get an ME position with just a physics major...

kote said:
It's very late in the cycle to be looking for a job honestly, and in this economy you might not have the best luck restricting yourself to Illinois. I recommend checking larger companies for entry level rotational programs. They mostly don't care what flavor of engineer you are, but they will have filled at least 90% of their slots by this point too. Besides that, make sure you are working with career services and professors to network as much as possible with alumni from your school. See if any of them have any openings for you.

Good luck.

is it really too late? I keep seeing some new listings on indeed.com. As for applying for the large companies, I heard that at some companies like Boeing and Lockheed Martin, about 90% of the positions are filled by referrals from friends and family, so you're screwed if you don't know anyone who works there..

creepypasta13 said:
is it really too late? I keep seeing some new listings on indeed.com.

New graduate recruitment, particularly graduate programmes, is normally done from september to around february - for a start the following september. So yes, it is late - not 'too late', there will still be jobs available from either programmes that weren't filled (less likely) or smaller companies that can't/don't want to recruit nearly a year in advance.

creepypasta13 said:
As for applying for the large companies, I heard that at some companies like Boeing and Lockheed Martin, about 90% of the positions are filled by referrals from friends and family, so you're screwed if you don't know anyone who works there..

I doubt that very much, and even if it were true it isn't helpful. These companies are big enough that they can afford to be extremely choosy over any new employees - that's why they have applicant days and interviews that can last days. They won't get the best people from only hiring friends. Otherwise, I don't really know anything about recruitment in your area - surely you can speak to the university careers service? I would imagine they'll have a book themselves, or one that is published by another party that shows common destinations for graduates in your discipline. In the UK, we have several such publications that are released yearly, and are generally books of adverts for companies that are looking to recruit in your sector. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/p!eXbLc is one such example.

Right... it's not so late that you should give up, it's just later than would be ideal. Large companies recruit mostly from their own intern pools. Yes, having a connection very much helps, but you make those connections as an intern or through networking with alumni etc. The family referral is not likely to go over too well, and I haven't seen any of that where I work.

1. What job opportunities are available for seniors in engineering physics?

Senior engineering physics students have a wide range of job opportunities. They can work in research and development, consulting, software development, aerospace, defense, and many other industries. They can also pursue careers in academia or continue their education in graduate school.

2. How can I make my engineering physics degree stand out to potential employers?

To make your engineering physics degree stand out, you should highlight your technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and critical thinking skills. You can also showcase any relevant projects, internships, or research experiences you have had. Additionally, consider obtaining certifications or taking courses in a specific area of interest to increase your knowledge and make you a more competitive candidate.

3. What skills are employers looking for in senior engineering physics graduates?

Employers are typically looking for senior engineering physics graduates who possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, are proficient in programming languages, and have a solid understanding of physics principles. They also value individuals who have good communication and teamwork skills, as well as the ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly.

4. How can I network and find job opportunities in the engineering physics field?

Networking is an important aspect of finding job opportunities in the engineering physics field. Joining professional organizations or attending career fairs and conferences can help you connect with potential employers and build relationships. You can also reach out to alumni or professionals in your field for informational interviews or job shadowing opportunities.

5. What advice do you have for a senior in engineering physics who is just starting their job search?

Start your job search early and be proactive. Research potential employers and job opportunities in your field of interest. Tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight your relevant skills and experiences. Network and attend career events to make connections and learn about job openings. And most importantly, don't get discouraged by rejection and keep applying and improving your skills and experiences.